Railroad Forums 

• Basic info needed on controllers (power pack)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#53508  by Otto Vondrak

If your just looking for a power pack, pretty much any one on the market will do (your hobby shop can recommend a good one). Consider the line of power packs from MRC, I consider them to be the best out there.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/products/ ... /index.asp

-otto-

#53545  by N-railroader

NellsChoo,
the answer is YES, but you have to find a real idiot to selling
the wrong power pack to you.

= Any power pack delivering up to 12V DC for train control will do!
Hands off of Maerklin(!) and Lionel(!) for a start.
= Do not connect your track to the accessorie outlet! It's 12-16V AC!!
(I guess KATO is using DC)
= If you are concerned about current, don't worry. The more, the better!
The current determines the amount of engines you can run at the
same time, in case of passenger trains the amount of lighted cars, too.

Tell your hobby shop associate that you need one for N-scale.
If you buy 2 you have even more freedom and each could have a lower
Amp rating than buying one.
= MRC is really not a bad choice.

Have fun,

:wink:

#53616  by sjl

Hi Jonelle,

Go with anything labeled "For use with HO or N" . As others have noted, MRC would be a great choice -- they've been around a long time. Their "Railpower 1370" has more than enough guts for a small N Scale layout.

Good luck with the project, and let us know how you're doing with it....

Ron

#53757  by NellsChoo

Thanks for the tips! When it comes to electricity, I know about as much as a bag of bricks does.

I am going in reverse with the layout. First, I bought a B&M engine on Ebay cheap, just to look at. Then I got a few more, uncluding the new Atlas Guilford SD-26. I also have been picking up rolling stock. Then finally we went to Ken's Trains in Sudbury MA (ALL N!) and got some flex track and turn-outs. Oh, and a box of instant roadbed. Last week I bought a laser cut wood kit to build. Had to order shingles online, though...

All this, and STILL no startings of a layout!!! I guess next we need plywood and a controller. My boyfriend will do the electrical stuff (I hope) as he and his brother played with trains (big and small) as kids.

The funny part is if we can get my layout working, he will start his... in HO! Well... if he can find room... His will be full of yard tracks and switching, mine will be more scenic and fancifull, based on my imagination but heavy into New England.

But don't look for updates just yet. We are both slow to start projects, and he has a rebuilt engine to finish installing in a 1974 AMC Javelin AMX! (for you train buffs, that is a muscle car, not a rare diesel loco!!)

:wink: