Railroad Forums 

• zzzzz

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#52832  by astrosa

People have been clamoring for an FL9 for ages...within the past few years, Model Railroader did one of their surveys and the FL9 was very high on the HO scale list. If Life-Like did the DL-109 in P1K, it seems like they at least ought to take a shot at it, if not in P2K. Or Stewart, with their already excellent F-unit line. There's really nothing 'difficult' about it as a prototype, even the odd wheel arrangement is easy if you're designing a new chassis anyway. I think the most major variation between the subsequent owners (i.e. Amtrak, MNRR/CDOT) was that some units had winterization hatches and a slightly different HEP fan section, which is just like having DB/non-DB versions.

I've attempted once or twice to kitbash one and am sitting on the parts for a better shot at it, but I'd buy one RTR to save myself the trouble. P2K and Stewart would make me shudder at the price tag, but a P1K would be a definite buy.

So I wonder what the hold-up is...
 #52882  by bando1473

An Alco High Hood would get my attention. "Loco 1, The Diesel" shows the truck base of the Alco S-2 to be 22'6". If the HH had the same dimenstion, Atlas or Life Like could just pop another shell on their existing frame and drive and you got it. I don't think there is that much difference in the steps and handrail. Check out ( http://yardlimit.railfan.net/archive/mk ... 01rear.jpg )

Al Corwin

#52889  by Otto Vondrak

While we know the FL9 has operated for many owners and many imagined paint schemes, a model company can only afford to release so many paint schemes. If anything, look for one to be released in New Haven, Amtrak, and Metro-North. The others you'll have to custom-paint yourself (and Penn Central blue-and-yellow and Conrail blue-and-yellow are not that hard to do).

I heard rumors for years that Stewart Hobbies is developing one, but they seem pretty focused on the Baldwin line right now.

-otto-

#52981  by JDFX

Admittedly I like the idea of a HH series switcher, (lets not forget the HH1000)

FL-9's don't fancy me personally as I do not model anything that has a use for that particular model (although I do like them)

How about a RSD-12 and an RSD-15 in HO?

I know atlas tried marketing their RS-11 on a 6 axle frame, but it was far from accurate.....

I think at this point, most other models have been covered, or are on their way down the pipe so to speak, but I am sure someone can think of something...
 #53131  by Komachi

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Even though I'm an ALCophile/ALCohaulic, I have a soft spot for the ol' FL-9 and would be more than happy to purchase both a New Haven (McGuinnis?) and Metro North unit.

As for the votes for the ALCo.s...

The HH series switchers - yes please, I may not have a use for them at the moment on my layout (unless they had the same power as the EMD SW-1 with the same or less weight), but said layout is set in the Midwest, and there are grain elevators... hmmm, RELCO anyone?

RSD-12/15 - Again, more units I could use on my road. So far my roster has monster C-628 and C-636 for 6-axle power. Would like something "lighter" to ease the wear and tear on the Winona (MN) bridge.

RS-36 - Yes, Otto, I too would like to see a 36 available, but I'd also like to see a better C-420 as well, besides the Rivarossi model.

And a vote for a couple units that those in the past have asked for...

Two Baldwin diesels that have been requested on the forums time and again and yet to be produced are the Baldwin "Babyface" units and the infamous Centipedes. And as I've noted, I'm a Midwestern modeler and not a Northeast modeler, but I'd also get a couple centipedes in CNJ orange and blue (weren't the centipedes also painted in the black/olive with yellow herald and lettering?) and Pensylvania livery.

Well, that's my 20yen (roughly 2 cents).

#53188  by JDFX

Re: RS36...

Yeah, I can agree, the RS 36, and while your at it, the RS 32.. (RS36 could easily pass for a 32, and I am sure most modelers would accept a 36, and make the few, very minor changes themselves.)

Perhaps PROTO 1000/2000 would gladly pick up the work here... I like their stuff....

FL9

#53408  by Don

There is/was a resin kit for this model that was offered by a co. in Ct. IIRC, it was Brampton hobbies- (don't hold me to that)- but I could'nt find more info on google or a check of the NMRA site.
Don

#53443  by astrosa

Branford Hobbies, whose website has been unavailable for a long time now. If you go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCModeler/ there are several photos of one, both undecorated and then painted for PC, although you have to join in order to view photos.

Unfortunately resin kits are much more expensive than mass-produced plastic models, partly because they are produced on a limited-run basis. I still think there's enough demand to warrant at least a P1K-style model in a few paint schemes.