Railroad Forums 

• Kitbashed Phase IVb Amfleet I Coach

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#51904  by mlrr

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share a completed project that I am very proud of. I managed to paint six Amfleet I's into phase IVb and here is a picture of one of them. I'm sorry the quality of the photo isn't better but I will definately work hard to provide a much better photo.

http://www.geocities.com/ksax73/RS128.JPG

I look forward to your feedback!

#52402  by Otto Vondrak

Nice paint job...

...but *get those trains off the carpet*!! number one no-no for model trains, since carpet fibres make their way into locomotives and can render them useless if a fibre gets into the motor gears. If you must run trains on the carpet, put down paper or a plastic dropcloth first (or use Bachmann EZ Track or something).

#52431  by astrosa

Looks good...over a year ago I painted an Amfleet II coach in Phase IVb, but at the time I didn't know exactly what shade of blue to use. The result of my custom mixing was the right hue, it was just too dark. If I decide to redo it, I'll use Floquil Light Blue which is a very close match to the correct color.

For now I want to repaint a bunch of Bachmann cars in Phase III and IV and rework their underbodies, since I like their shells better. I think they have the potential to look really good with some grab irons and a new paint job.

(To answer David's question, that's an Amfleet I coach from Walthers.)

#52444  by mlrr

Otto Vondrak wrote:Nice paint job...

...but *get those trains off the carpet*!! number one no-no for model trains, since carpet fibres make their way into locomotives and can render them useless if a fibre gets into the motor gears. If you must run trains on the carpet, put down paper or a plastic dropcloth first (or use Bachmann EZ Track or something).
Thank you all guys!

Thanks for the advice Otto! To deal with the carpet issue, I inspect my locomotives and rolling stock periodicly to make sure the fibers don't make there way into the motor and its gears. It's tedious, but it's a price to pay. By the time I move out I hope to have a two bedroom apartment. If that happens the second room will be mostly devoted to trains and the trains will be on a shelf (Long range planning).

For the current situation, I will try the plastic dropcloth issue. I'll use it on the two track main, since that's the only spot that see's "high speeds".

#58733  by mlrr

David Telesha wrote:Nice work, Kyle!

Looks like the real thing. Nice job with the paint and markings - I see the real ones a lot. Where do you model? NEC?

Who makes the Amfleet cars?
I'm sorry I missed the question earlier David, lol.

I mostly model the NEC but my equiment is appropriate for most corridors except for the Northwest and Calfornia.

#66269  by ngotwalt

Kyle,
One really big question, where did you get the decals? I didn't know anyone did the three sheets to the wind and I'd really like to convert some amfleets to that scheme. Thanks.
Cheers,
Nick

#66478  by mlrr

ngotwalt wrote:Kyle,
One really big question, where did you get the decals? I didn't know anyone did the three sheets to the wind and I'd really like to convert some amfleets to that scheme. Thanks.
Cheers,
Nick
Hi Nick!

I had to pay a custom decal maker for the Three Sheets to the wind decals. www.gmcrail.com. It cost me 32 dollars for a sheet of those waves along with the car types and numbers. It's not bad though because I think it works that a re-print is 8 dollars and that's in addition to changing the road numbers and/or car types. I mainly needed the services because I did not have white ink or I may have done them myslef, but I'm glad I went to them. They did an excellent job in my opinion!

#68908  by Engineer

The car looks very nice. I like the fact that its more metallic than gray, like there 1:1 relatives.
I must agree though on the above post about the carpeting. Don't run your trains on carpeting for the above mentioned reasons but if you must, use a track with a built in roadbed. Bachmann makes their EZ track, Atlas has theirs, but the best would definitely be Kato's Unitrack. If you don't believe us pick up one of your locos and look closely in and around the trucks.

#68921  by mlrr

Engineer wrote:The car looks very nice. I like the fact that its more metallic than gray, like there 1:1 relatives.
I must agree though on the above post about the carpeting. Don't run your trains on carpeting for the above mentioned reasons but if you must, use a track with a built in roadbed. Bachmann makes their EZ track, Atlas has theirs, but the best would definitely be Kato's Unitrack. If you don't believe us pick up one of your locos and look closely in and around the trucks.
Thanks! I have been doing regular maintenance on my equipment to deal with the issue of carpet fibers however; I have great news!

This past weekend I was able to get my tracks off of the carpet! I took some 3/16" foam project baords and used it for the subroadbed. I then took WS foam roadbed and used that as well. I did all this this past weekend. There are only a few sections on the layout that are still on carpet and they are storage tracks. The layout is now sectioned off as well so it will be easier to assemble and dis-assemble the layout now.