Railroad Forums 

• HO- Life-Like R17 Review

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#50844  by Ken S.

Set purchased: SIlver/Blue (70s)

The set, despite the missing end gates looks a heck of alot better than the Images Replicas R17s and the price ($150 at Trainworld) is worth it given the IR cars are I believe sold through the Red Caboose (Now known for ripping people off). The 70s set is signed up for the Times Square Shuttle and contains cars: 6539, 6688 (powered car), 6550, and 6634.

Operation: The cars preformed as smoothly as their RDCs. The powered car had no problem towing the three trailers on my layout and had no problems operating at full speed (100 mph). It also appears that the headlights go on on my layout without the train moving (same with the RDC) making for good photo ops or on my layout; intimidation of the Mercedes-Benz and BMW crowd.

Appearance: The cars appeared to more accurately match the R17 drawing than that other set. Lettering was clear, even the side signs. Which is no surprise considering that the set was licensed by and is sold through the MTA. Life-Like also includes the P2K coupler which is good for using the cars as MOW cars for NYCT, MN, LIRR, NJT, Amtrak, or NS/CSX/CR or for towing a "dead train" by a very small Model Power or Bachmann switcher posing as an NYCT work train locomotive. Initial assignment on my layout had the cars running as a "PATH" train, inspired by the use of WMATA cars as one on the CR layout featured on this site.

Bottom Line: Nice cars, it would be a shame to introduce Blair Line decals to the set considering that MTH couldn't put the MTA logo on the set that got that treatment. Worth the money, considering the alternative.

#50925  by astrosa

You know, etched brass end gates are available from Imperial Hobby Productions.

#50952  by Ken S.

astrosa wrote:You know, etched brass end gates are available from Imperial Hobby Productions.
IHP and IR are known for overpriced products and lousy service. IR is selling LIRR coaches that a decent model could be made of using the Walthers Horizon Cars.

#51092  by astrosa

Ken S. wrote:IHP and IR are known for overpriced products
I wouldn't call $1.50 for 2 pairs of end gates overpriced, considering the effect they'd add to a model.

My post was strictly an informative one. I didn't mention my opinion of the company, and I didn't say anything about Images Replicas, so you didn't need to dismiss my statement like that. Others may appreciate being able to add this missing detail to their R17 sets.
 #52318  by BMT

Actually, the R-17's ride alittle too high for my much more accurate Model Traction Supply brass R-22 cars. If I could just adjust the height of the Life-Like R-17s then it would be a great match...

#52370  by scopelliti

Now you've gotten my interest: Which Walthers Horizon models would be best for LIRR coaches? Looks like the 85' Streamlined Horizon Fleet Commuter Coach is the ticket, but which ones? The photos on the website are not clear (especially trucks) and they seem to use the same image for several different ones.