• HO City Buses

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, Otto Vondrak, stilson4283

by viken

About six months ago a member mentioned a source for accurate models (not kits) of city buses from the 1930-1950 era.

Does anyone have the link?

Thanks!

by jwb1323

Don't have a link, but I believe the company is/was called The Truck and Coach Division.
  by pjb

The YAHOO group "87scalecars" is where you will find people
interested in 1:87 vehicles. There is a file section and links section, as
well as a substantial minority of members interested in public transit.

The largest groups of bus collectors/model builders ,such as the enormous "diecastbusses" group, and others on the web, are relatively uninterested
in 1:87 scale busses.
Good-Luck, PJB :-D

by brucejob

Take a look at the 1/87 Vehicle Club for a list of manufacturers...follow the link:

http://www.1-87vehicles.org/
  by Otto Vondrak

Can it be?

Latest news on the GMC bus is that its debut will likely be pushed back to 2005 because of new model commitments by Busch.

-otto-
  by jmp883

WOW!!!! In addition to being a former HO-scale model railroader and a current N-scale model railroader I also collect HO-scale vehicles, primarily Amercian fire apparatus and buses. Unfortunately there hasn't been too much in the way of American buses on the US market. Pirate Models still offers their metal kits of the GM New-Look transit and the classic GM 'Buffalo Bus' (only a real bus buff will know that term) intercity coaches. They recently have added Eagle coaches to their lineup as well. For all the years I've been modeling and building kits I don't do metal kits all that well.

Let's just hope Busch decides to add at least the GM Buffalo to their lineup.....of course adding an Eagle Model 5 or 10 wouldn't be bad either...........

Joe P :-D
Long Live The EL (and GM buses)
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

by Marty Feldner

MANY miles behind the wheel of a GM PDM4507 coach (on Short Line they were called deck-and-half's). Much better ride, better driving 'feel' than the MC-9's that replaced 'em- IMHO. (Guess I'm dating myself a little here- it was back in the early eighties, and even the MC-9's are going away...)

I have the Pirate Models kit. Kind of a bear to assemble right, but a beautiful model when done, fantastic interior detailing.

I'd love to be able to afford the real thing, convert it into a luxury motor home.
  by jmp883

Marty,

While not a bus driver by profession I'm most definitely a bus fan (it rivals my railfan/model railroad interests). Have always loved the 40 foot Buffalos and would love to sit behind the wheel of one, if not actually be able to drive one. Closest I've gotten so far is driving the pumpers in my fire department. I knew someone who drove for the old Maplewood Transit company and rode many times with him in a fishbowl (40 foot, of course). He had given me the idea of becoming a bus driver but it never happened. Love all the different GMC coaches as well as the Eagles. Except for the MC-5, don't really care for any of the MCI's. They look like they're going to tip over everytime they turn a corner.

Anyway, this is a railroad forum, not a bus fan forum.

Joe P :-D
Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

by gwensdad

Well, you guys have just ruined my day. There used to be a company called American Precision Models that made US prototype buses, in the era you're seeking. Plastic, kit or built-up, including city transit busses in NJ Public Service and others, or undec, and Continental Trailways long haul both dec and undec. I went to the web page I have bookmarked, and it's gone. No listing at Walthers any longer, nor at my favorite outlet for 1:87 vehicles, Truck Stop Models. I have a few, and wanted some more, including the Trailways. Now I'm bummed. Watch the swap meets.
  by viken

Yes! I've seen pictures of their models and they look excellent. But, alas, like gwensdad, I can find many links to them but all are dead.

Anyone know what happened to them or if there may be any distributors or hobby stores who carried the line and may still have some?

by scopelliti

The web address http://www.modelbuses.com/ comes up with a 403 (Forbidden) error which could be bad news, or just a transient problem.

FWIW... I found the following whois information on Network Solutions site about the domain modelbuses.com so at least you have a phone number to call (not too far from Rochester):

Registrant: Make this info private
American Precision Models (26493201O)
P.O Box 190
Buffalo, NY 14225
US
Phone: (716) 634-3023
Fax: 999 999 9999

Domain Name: MODELBUSES.COM

Administrative Contact :
Delsman, Stephen
(SD4471)
[email protected]
PO BOX 190
BUFFALO, NY 14225-0190
US
Phone: (716) 634-3023
Fax: 999 999 9999

Technical Contact :
GNP, Globalnet
(HG3983)
[email protected]
PO BOX 6944
TRAVERSE CITY, MI 49696-6944
US
Phone: 231-929-7978
Fax: 123 123 1234

Record expires on 09-Apr-2005
Record created on 09-Apr-1998
Database last updated on 08-Jul-2004

by conrail71

Hey,

I frequently find HO busses on E-Bay. I also placed a classified ad on 1-87vehicles .org. I have purchased 4 Pirate Fishbowls, 2 RTS mark VI's and a few Road Champs Flxible Metro's this way.

Mike