Railroad Forums 

• Questions on soldering track joints

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#49775  by thrdkilr

Greetings;
What effect will soldering track joints have when it comes to expansion and contraction due to temperature changes?
Thanks, Mac

#49918  by jwb1323

Exjpansion and contraction due to temperature means the metal pieces will expand and contract against each other. In a garage, basement, or attic without full-time climate control, these changes can be relatively large. This, with other influences like vibration from running trains, will gradually loosen rail joiners against the rail. This will increase the likelihood that the current will not be transmitted from one section of rail to the next, and the train will stall.

As I mentioned, though, this is only one of the influences that tends to interrupt current between sections of rail. If you ballast your track, you have that much additional dust, glue, and dirt trying to work its way into the joint. Ordinary non-ballast related dust and dirt as also a factor, as is corrosion. The result is definitely that performance can deteriorate on a layout as time goes on.

The solution for this part of reliability is to have multiple feeders for electrfical sections and to solder rail joints whenever possible. As I said above, a layout may work for a while without doing this, but the joints will deteriorate over time if you don't.

A Kadee track gauge or alligator clips from Radio Shack will work as heat sinks, too, by the way. But a melted tie now and then isn't a tragedy. You can cut out the damaged one and insert another cut from a spare section of track if you have to.

#50057  by Roger Hensley

I would suggest NOT soldering every joint leaving a few for expansion/contraction. I have seen rail buckle due to expansion with every joint being soldered solid. I now leave every second or third unsoldered when I solder joints. :-)

#50151  by steemtrayn

Roger Hensley wrote:I would suggest NOT soldering every joint leaving a few for expansion/contraction. I have seen rail buckle due to expansion with every joint being soldered solid. I now leave every second or third unsoldered when I solder joints. :-)
To ensure good electrical contact on those unsoldered joints, solder a jumper wire around them.

#50173  by jwb1323

Or rely on the multiple feeders I mentioned above, which are a good idea anyhow. Even with multiple feeders, I've found the need to resolder connections after 8-10 years. Whether expansion will cause a "sun kink" probably depends on how big the variation is in termperature in the layout room, but also, curves will tend to absorb the changes in length better than straight sections. Insulated rail joiners at the end of electrical sections will also allow for variation, and since they're meant not to carry current, everything's fine.