Railroad Forums 

• Spectrum Dash-8

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#45798  by BNfanWash

I'd really like to add a Union Pacific Dash-8 to my collection, but I don't like the B trucks on the Atlas models. So far the only Dash-8C's I've found are made by Bachman Spectrum, but I find the detail on the Spectrums to be lacking.

I want to know your opinions on using parts to super detail a Bachman Spectrum. Can the Spectrum Dash-8's be made to have the same level of detail as an Atlas or Kato model would? Have any other manufacturers ever made a Dash-8C that would have better detail than the Spectrum models?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

#45873  by mu26aeh

I don't know what this new run of bachmann operates like, but if they are anything like the last run, don't waste your time and money buying them. It looked like a power move when I ran them and that was to pull 15 cars. Buy the Atlas/Kato and change the trucks somehow. Unless you are just going to have them for show in the engine house.

#45892  by BNfanWash

That's a great idea, and it had crossed my mind. Anyone know if the trucks on the Atlas Dash-8Bs can be replaced with C trucks?

Thanks.

#46137  by SRS125

what about maybe puting the bachmann shell on a atlas or kato frame??
I did this with a few Lifelike GP18 and GP20 repowerings with a frame and moter swap keeping the lifelike shell while everthing else was an atlas/kato part. This worked out vary well I'm quite happy with the job my self. :P
I also tryed to retruck a C40-8 with ALCO FB-2 Trucks when the trucks wore out the expairament never rilly carryed out to well but was worth the try. Needless to say the loco sits in the parts yard. All thow I will say this locomotive gave me 7 years of service. :P
I plan to do expairaments with makeing a GP38 and GP40 Wide Cabs next summer when the time and money become avalable. :P