Railroad Forums 

• Welcome back! (was: #1)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#120  by bigknob&pinerunnrr

guess i am the first to post here :D

#200  by pdt

Then give me the bronze medal, fellas! :lol:

#374  by bentnosewillie

Hooray.

We gonna get access to the old message archive eventually?

#375  by stilson4283

At this point and time I don't think so. As I understand it the problem would be simalar to trying to bring a program from an apple to a windows machine. It can be done but is more pain then it is worth.

Chris
www.ritmrc.org

#510  by NYC-BKO

I'm glad we are all back! :roll: :D

#524  by hoharold

I just get this foolish machine back on line again and... "What the H...?" A mushroom cloud over the internet? A cyber de-railment? I must be getting old, I can't stand "new" formats :D !! This seems easier tho'... Glad to be back amongst youse again!
 #1515  by Otto Vondrak

From what I understand- the old data still exists- but the format is not compatible with the new software we have installed. To try to bring over the tens of thousands of posts would be next to impossible. Not so much a difference between Apple and Windows, but more like Chinese to Korean.

Glad to see you all back- we'll just have to take this as an opportunity to make Railroad.net even better than before.

-otto-
 #1566  by SD45Jim

My wife and I took our daughter to my parents for her birthday and were out of town for a week. When I returned, everything on this website was gone! All the great information and helpful hints were gone!! So who hit the delete button? I bet he gets fired for that!

Anyway, it is good to get back online. I look forward to new posts and more great information.

#1633  by JDFX

No one is getting fired Jim,

More like Railroad.Net became so popular that the host ISP decided that the site was drawing off too much bandwidth, hence why they (not Mike or Otto) pulled the plug.

But if you remember, prior to that, Mike said he was looking for better software than the home brew stuff he had. The old software was good, but cumbersome to work, and inefficient bandwidth wise. Plus it was restricted in what could or couldn't be done without major programming. It was just a case of "while I am replacing the waterpump, I might as well replace the serpentine belt too". (Think cars)

The new software was coming reguardless, the recent outage just hurried it along faster, thats all.

If your still looking for the old info from the past, I would suggest trying the link below.

http://www.archive.org

#1723  by SD45Jim

Yeah, I know no one messed up. I just remember all the times I have accidently deleted stuff or had a power drop knock out my computer in the middle of work. There are not many times when an entire forum is knocked out! I am glad that Railroad.net is back up!

Jim Sherwin

#1738  by Xplorer2000

I guess the party got too big for the old server to handle....BUT....as they say, its a chance for all to start with a clean slate. And it undid whatever tampering someone pulled on me, so I'm not complaining. I'm familiar with this format anyways...It allows for more creativity in posting than the old format. Boy..are we in trouble now...Image
 #2587  by Rick F.

:wink: :) I was really bummed out when I came home from vacation to find this forum not working. Glad to see RR net is back up and Otto as the moderator. I've always enjoyed his input and his comments. I previously posted under Rickrail, but will now be posting under Rick F.