Railroad Forums 

• Alco RS-27 announced for the Proto 2000 line

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#41928  by Legio X

I was reading the new products announcements in the September issue of Model Railroader, and saw, to my great surprise, that Life-Like has added the Alco RS-27 to it's Proto 2000 product line. The roadnames that will be offered are: Penn Central, Pennsylvania, Conrail, Soo Line, Union Pacific, Chicago and Northwestern, Green Bay and Western and the Alco demonstrator livery. I'll take two of the Penn Central models....
 #41941  by bando1473

The announcement got my attention to. From what I can gather, the RS-27 will be sold only with DCC (with or without sound). I wonder how much that will add to the cost. Us old straight DC people are being pushed out. I remember watching the GBW 310 working the boat at Kewaunee. The 310 was the first RS-27 and has been scrapped.

#41982  by Steve Wagner

Those of us who use traditional DC may be forced to pay for DCC decoders we don't plan to use. That's true for some of the products of at least one supplier other than Life-Like.

Alco's RS-27 demonstrators ran with a dynanometer car, also in the beautiful gray, white, and black demo livery, that was the same ex-Nickel Plate Road car on which Walthers has based its HO model.

#42162  by caboose

Nope,all models will be offered in both DC & DCC,it says it in the very last paragraph. :P