Railroad Forums 

• Good roadbed for Lionel trains

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#41282  by dkgrubb

Hello,
I am working on laying track on my O gauge Lionel train layout. I am just going to put down sectional track, and I would like a good road bed underneath it, plus ballast, and maybe even wooden ties. Any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this? Thanks so much.
Keith

#41594  by 1st Barnegat

Gargraves track comes with ties already in place. Turnouts are #6s so they work well even in yards and look good and close to prototype. The center rail of the three is painted black so that it is less noticable, and the outer two are stainless - they cannot rust. Prefer it to Lionel track, and the two are compatible for most post-WWII Lionel equipment. Electric solinoid-type switch machines are available for the turnouts.

You can get sheets of 1/8 thick foam from hobby or art stores to put under the track. It makes a good sound damping material and keeps the trains quiet.

Lastly, some hobby shops sell "balast," actually real crushed stone down to the size a little above that of salt. Put some water-based glue, like Elmers, on with a brush - but be careful not to get it on top of the ties or rails. Then spill the balast on top. Brush away the loose stuff and repeat until it looks thick enough.

#42540  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

I had used Lionel "027" tubular track, I just used roofing singles as the "roadbed", ballest I used blue stone dust and glued it down.. The ties I used popsickle sticks, they were cut in half, painted brown, and slid under the rails.