• Scale vehicles wish list

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Steve Wagner

I second March Hare's desire for more common, ordinary vehicles as distinct from sports cars, muscle cars and other more exotic items, of which plenty are already available.

I'd particularly like to get models of some cars my family has owned, starting with a 1955 Plymouth station wagon, a 1961 station wagon, Volkswagen Beetles (not SuperBeetles) from around 1966, a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport, and a Dodge Omni or Plymouth Horizon.

by Sir Ray

Nico wrote: If someone is interested in modern Japanese cars there are some Mitsubishi’s manufactured by Rietze.

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s34462966.s ... shopscript

Don’t know what happened though, because they had more of…well let’s say ordinary cars before.
Oh yes, I remember when Rietze came out with these (it must have been 8-10 years ago, if not more), I was quite happy ("Finally! Japanese prototypes!"), and snagged a number of them (the Galant, the Paraire, several vans) - then it just sorta petered out (I was hoping for a few more reasons, perhaps in the Toyota/Honda/Nissan vein). Still, pretty decent models...

by graftonterminalrr

Hmmmm. I've been going thru that Rietze site.

These are the Fords. The Focus in all it's variations are correct for here as they are sold in hatchback, wagon and sedan form. The Mondeo sedan is correct for here as well as it is the Euro version of the Contour sold here. You could likely get away with a few Transit vans as they resemble somewhat the smaller delivery vans such as those used by courier companies, etc.

These are the Opels. The Vectra is our (2004-up) Chevy Malibu. The Calibra somewhat resembles a Cavalier 2 door although it is not based on the GM J-body platform.

The Volkswagens. Only the Sharan can be used as a North American vehicle, the others are far too Euro to bee seen on our roads.

The Audis. All are appropriate for North American modeling except the A3 and A2.

by Nico

It’s a little tricky for me since I don’t know how many of you that is familiar with the European manufacturers that do exist, but I’ll still try and provide some other links. The general rule is, as always, too look around. There is more often than not at least something that could be useful, even if it isn’t the thing that one did look for initially.

US Trucks from Albedo (only in German though)
http://www.albedo-modelle.de/TabelleUS.htm

Ordinary European cars from the 60’s by Brekina
http://www.brekina.de/0204Messe/neue_pe ... in_top.htm

Busch, that usually got something
http://www.busch-model.com/englisch/e-auto.htm

Herpa is got both cars that could be used as well as US Trucks
http://www.herpa.de/cars/cars_e.htm

Perhaps Norev's sight feels a little odd (since it's in French), but they make nice models, both in 1:43 and 1:87
http://www.norev.com/norev_v2/?P=catalogue

Wiking is perhaps the most well-known manufacturer that we’ve got in Europe (only in German though)
http://www.wiking.de/htdoc/produkte/index.html

In sum, I think that there are at least about 30-35 manufacturers too be found around Europe (even more than that perhaps since Eastern Europe is developing) and the vast majority of them makes models of a very high quality, and many of the models are also ready to run.

by TerryC

A Delorean Motor Company DMC-12 would be realy nice. A "Back to the Future" version would be nice as well.

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/
We live and learn

by Otto Vondrak

I was going to ask for a DeLorean... I think a DeLorean would make a neat addition to some 1985 city streets... and a BTTF version would be fun. We have a 1:64 BTTF DeLorean on our layout at RIT, hidden behind a billboard... :-)

-otto-
  by Komachi

Ya know, I was also going to add the DMC-12 on my list, but overlooked it this time around...

I remember asking for that and also a BTTF version as well on the old forum the last time the "vehicle wish list" was written up. I also mentioned a few other TV/Movie favoites, as did some other folks...

- 1974 Dodge Monaco Sedan - Already mentioned twice already that this is the "bluesmobile" from the Blues Brothers.
- 1977 Dodge Royal Monaco Sedan - need 'em in Illiniois State Patrol and Chicago City Police Department colors and need a whole bunch of 'em (each paint job) to replicate chase scenes.
- I also mentioned a 1958 Plymouth Fury in white over red. Maybe a wrecked or burned up hulk version could also be sold as well to represent "Christine" and her various states during the movie?
- 1967 Dodge Charger - "hunter orange" with a rebel flag and 01 on the doors. Put a couple of Busch's late 70's Monaco/Fury behind it to represent the Hazard County Police, and you'll have visitors wondering if the "Duke boys" will get out of this one...
- On the previous incarnation of the forum, someone wanted a late 70's era, brown Pontiac Trans Am (Firebird?) and a 70's era Chevy truck like Jim Rockford and his dad drove.
- Speaking of Pontiac Trans Am Firebirds, how about a black one with a driver in a red jacket and cowboy hat? Just need a Peterbuilt with a trailer full of illegal beer being shipped from Texas to Georgia and a few Georgia State Patrol squads and one Texas Sherrif's car in hot persuit of "The Bandit" to complete the scene.
- As if that weren't enough for famous T-birds, how about another black one from the early 80's with a red LED panel in the front and matching semi with a white knight (like on a chess board) printed on the side)? Maybe put the custom license plate KITT on there too?
- How about a smashed up 1971 ('73?) Mustang Mach I to have tearing down the streets and gone in 60 seconds? Of course, they need to make a replica '67 Shelby Cobra GT 500 from the remake that came out a couple years ago. (There is a company in Texas that is building full-scale replicas of "Elanore" from '67 Mustang fastbacks. They are being added to the Shelby Registry as Shelby 500 E models, the "E" standing for "Elanore," so a few wealthy citizens on your layout could plausibly be driving one!)

Well, that's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment. Anyone else have any other TV/Movie Cars they want made?

by TerryC

What about a 1958 Plymouth Fury like the one in Christine and the Dodge Ram from Twister

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net
Keep asking, keep learning

by Ken W2KB

I've never been able, so far, to find a '68 Camaro Convertible in any scale. We have a prototype, and thus the reason. :wink:
'69s are around, but the body, particularly the flattened wheelwells and more pronounced side crease are different.
  by jockellis

I was born in '48 but in the '50s and early '60s, I remember a number of cars from this era in Atlanta, GA. Cars didn't cost near as much as they do now, but everyone made so much less money in those days. Post WWII cars would be usable for layouts spanning many years.
Jock Ellis

by M630

Here are some vehicles that I would like to see - the modern urban vehicles are pretty neglected... Working for the City of Mpls I see buses, city trucks, and vehicles in general up close daily and can't believe how much more can be done for model railroading when it comes to bringing the streets to life. Some of what I'd like to see:

*Gillig 40' bus - one of the main industry standards from the 80s to today
*GMC RTS 40' bus - one of the other typical buses from the last 20 years
*New Flyer 60' articulated bus - both low floor and high floor, the typical look of the articulated buses
*Modern garbage trucks - a line of these would be nice, the ones out there are cheap and not prototypical [Wiking comes close]. Rear, side, and front loaders are all needed but esp. the last two.
*Recycling trucks - curb loaders, front loaders, and the older "box bin" style all would be nice to see
*Modern construction equip. - some is out there but more choices would be nice
*Delivery trucks - think FedEx
*Snow plows - highway and city plows. Boley is ok but take work to get to pass as a prototype for Twin Cities plows [they aren't heavy duty enough... ]
*Municipal work trucks
*Buick decked out with working hydraulics - come on, you know that would be a blast to see!

I know there are more [and these all go for N scale too...]
  by jmp883

We ABSOLUTELY NEED 60s-70s American-prototype vehicles of all types in both HO and N scales, preferably in plastic. I do think, however, that those in HO do have it a bit better than those of us in N.

I'm a former HO-scale railroader and currently an N-scaler. I model the late 60's to early 70's era and in N there is almost nothing available. The only vehicles I've been able to find so far that fit my era are the Atlas Ford tractors. Their Taurus and F-150 models are from the 90's. Athearn's Ford C-series trucks can be used on any layout set from 1957 on since that is when the Budd Company introduced that cab and several of them have already found a home on my layout. Other than that there isn’t a whole lot out there for those of us in N scale who want American prototype vehicles from the 60s-70s. Classic Metal Works is just starting to scratch the surface of this market with their newly released N-scale 1967 Ford Galaxie and 1977 Chevy Impala.

I also collect HO-scale vehicles, primarily American fire apparatus and buses. In regard to fire apparatus there are the fine models by Boley, though most of them are on modern-era commercial or custom chassis. Busch does have the classic American LaFrance pumpers and aerials. That chassis/cab was in use from the late 50’s through the late 70’s. For buses the pickings are really slim. There are the metal kits from Pirate Models of the GMC fishbowl transit bus, the GMC 'Buffalo' (only real bus nuts will understand that reference) intercity coach, and the Eagle intercity coach. It’s nice to see them available in metal but it’s also a handicap for me. I can build plastic kits as well as any modeler but for all the years I've been a modeler I just can't get the hang of building a metal kit. Every one I've ever bought has ended up in the scrapbox waiting for that model junkyard to be built. I see Busch is planning to release the GMC fishbowl, I hope they'll do a 40' 'Buffalo' as well. Needless to say, I’d love to see all the models just mentioned done in N-scale plastic.

As for passenger cars from that era, both scales do suffer. It is amazing to me when I look through both N and HO Walthers catalogs all the various detail pieces available. Things like fuel sight gauges for loco fuel tanks, electrical meters for the sides of buildings, nut/bolt/washer castings, etc. and yet something as big a vehicle isn’t as well represented. It seems, especially in HO, that the vehicle selection runs from the horse/buggy era to the 50’s and then jumps right to the modern era. To add insult to injury, most of the modern-era models are of European or Japanese prototypes. If you’re a modern-era modeler that is not an issue since there are many more import vehicles on our roads now than there were in the 60s and 70s. I won’t even touch the N-scale situation…….

I might be wrong, but I would think there would be a market for these models? Besides the buses and fire apparatus I just mentioned, I’d buy a Ford Pinto or Chevy Vega, or a Ford Country Squire wagon, or a Brockway cab-over, or an AMC Pacer, or………in HO and N scales..

I know I ranted a bit more than maybe I should have on this topic but when you build a beautifully detailed layout it should be ‘correct’ in all aspects. Not only will the right vehicles enhance our layouts but it will prevent that nitpicker we all know the chance to nitpick our layout.

Joe P :-D
Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

by gwensdad

Check out Truck Stop Models, www.truckstopmodels.com. If it's made in 1:87, Trip knows about it. He has a variety of modern fire apparatus, and he has contacts with manufacturers. Ask him for what you want, maybe he knows how to get it.

by Sir Ray

gwensdad wrote:Check out Truck Stop Models, www.truckstopmodels.com. If it's made in 1:87, Trip knows about it. He has a variety of modern fire apparatus, and he has contacts with manufacturers. Ask him for what you want, maybe he knows how to get it.
Just want to mention I have several of the Model Power die-cast vehicles mentioned on the Truck Stop Models page, and they are quite good and well detailed for relatively 'cheap' models (so far I can only find them for $4.00 at my local hobby shop, but I'm sure anyone could do better).
They're a bit shiny, so I give them the body a coat of semi-gloss.
One problem is that they are more or less covering ground trod by Herpa and Busch et. al, with BMWs, Mercedes C class, VWs etc., but still they are worth the price.
Now, one vehicle that's rapidly becoming a must have on modern era layouts is a Ford F350 cab/chassis (super-duty) - the version which came after the Trident model version, with a distinctive projection black grill, and distinct fenders/hood stampings (copying a bit from the Dodge Rams) - this chassis (or derivatives like Super-Duty, F450, etc.) is EVERYWHERE: dump trucks, landscaper trucks, work trucks, muncipal trucks, delivery trucks, etc. - basically everything the good ol' Ford C-Series (Athearn) cab did in the 1960s. Alas, the matchbox Ford cab is about 20% too big for HO scale (I got one, and measured it again the actual dimensions on the Ford site).

by shortlinerailroader

Maybe some of the aforementioned Fords with hi-rail gear--up, down or adjustible...powered or not. Also, similarly equipped Chevys and Dodges (BNSF has some Durangos) would be nice. Freightliner and International gang trucks with adjustible cranes and rail wheels. Available decorated or plain. I don't know...these may already be on the market.