Railroad Forums 

• Tiny Lettering: You Can't See It, But It's There!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#466212  by Otto Vondrak

I just bought two Atlas ready-to-roll freight cars at a train show today because they were available at deep discount.

First of all, I was amazed at the level of applied detail. So much so, I was afraid to remove it from the box for fear of beaking off a ladder, a grab, or some piping. Here's what gets me. The microscopic lettering! And it's not just blobs, it's legible! Now, granted, I had to take out my magnifying glass, but it's there!

http://www.traintrack.net/Images/Atlas/ ... /13672.gif

I bought a 50' newsprint boxcar decorated at CR 166863, a class X71. The paint is a good match and the lettering is crisp. I took a magnifying lass to the COTS stencil, and here's what I got:
Code: Select all
LEFT PANEL:
ABD
ABDW
1-80
CR HP

RIGHT PANEL:
LUB
1-80
CR
HP

BOTTOM PANEL:
BLT 1-72
Can someone help me decipher the COTS data? I got that this car was built for Penn Central in Jan. 1972. I checked the top right corner, and there's the "legacy" reporting marks that was a trademark of Conrail paint crews. This car was PCA 168563 (I think- the lettering is REAL tiny and I'm REAL nearsighted. Then there appears to be an Equipment Trust statement that just cant make out, but the lettering looks like it could be read under strong magnification). "PCA" was a reporting mark used by Penn Central for certain lots they acquired under different lease or loan agreements. I checked my Conrail Color Guide from Morning Sun, and found photos of X71, but none specified for "clean loading" marked with a yellow door like my model. I did find an example of a "PCA" X71 in my Penn Central Color Guide that could have been the predecessor to my model.

I also picked up a Conrail NE-6 caboose. A great model, with all appropriate grab irons installed. CR 23879. Jim Hebner has a shot of 23879 on his web site. A former NH caboose, lumped into NE-6 class by Penn Central. My Conrail model appears spot on, except for some minor details regarding rebuilt windows. Also, my model spots etched walkways and full ladders, but the later photo shows the walkways and ladder removed.

http://crcaboose.railfan.net/photos/CR23879.jpg

The COTS stencil reads as follows:
Code: Select all
LEFT PANEL: 
BLT.....RCD....INSP
5-48...7-79
CR
MDV
CR

RIGHT PANEL:
COTS....LUB....IDT
7-79...........5-14-78
CR................CR
MDV
CR
Can anyone help interpret the COTS data?

I may be putting this model into the shop to update its appearance though I hestitate to ruin this model by removing the walkways and ladders. I wish Atlas provided a "modern" caboose end with crash posts to update these models.

All in all... money well spent and I'm interested to see how accurrate the data is!

-otto-

-otto-

#466262  by NHN503

Always trust the "bible" my friend :wink:

http://crcyc.railfan.net/crrs/box/boxx71.html

I know a guy who works in the design dept at Atlas very well, and they try to get the data as accurate as possible for each car, so you can pretty much guess that the data is right.

#466311  by SooLineRob

Partial info:

The boxcar has an "ABDW" air brake control valve installed. Control valves are, listed oldest to newest: AB, ABD, ABDW, ABDX. Without a long, drawn out explaination of what features each valve has, the AB's were around since forever, and the ABDX's are the most modern types installed on today's equipment.

The CR HP and CR MDV and dates are the shops that did the work and when. HP I'm not sure of, maybe Hollidaysburg, but MDV was Meadville.

#466314  by Otto Vondrak

Ian- I should have checked the Conrail Cyclopedia! You're right! Not that I thought Atlas put out a bogus car... thanks for the link!

SooLineRob- Thanks for the explanation about the brake valve codes. I couldn't figure out the shop codes, though Meadville, PA sounds right for MDV.

Anyone else have any experiences with these new Atlas cars? The only modification I plan on making is substituting the plastic knuckle couplers for Kadee No. 58's.

http://crcyc.railfan.net/crrs/box/cr166863.jpg

Looking at the photo of the real CR 166863 on the Conrail Cyclopedia, I see that it appears to have a Superior door, while the Atlas model appears to have a Youngstown door. Perhaps Conrail swapped the doors at some point... if I knew of a suitable replacement door, I might consider swapping them out, too.

-otto-

#466463  by scooter3798

Otto Vondrak wrote: Anyone else have any experiences with these new Atlas cars? The only modification I plan on making is substituting the plastic knuckle couplers for Kadee No. 58's.
Both the NE-6 and the PD box are both great cars. The only thing with the couplers I go with a #158, this is the whisker version of the 58. For some reason Atlas decided to make their coupler boxes shorter than the Kadee coupler spring, most likely to better fit the Accurail pieces of garbage that they call couplers. Other than that you should be good to go, as I think only once I had an Atlas car that didn't ride at the right height for the new Kadees.

Scooter

#466535  by Dieter

Otto~

Let me recommend one of those adjustable fixtures with a flourescent ring bulb around a magnifying lens for close examination of fine stenciling. You will find the older you get the MORE you will use such a fixture :wink: .

First fine stenciling I ever saw was on Marklin equipment, the first I purchased that blew me away was on LIMA models. I'm glad we get this level of refinement on American models, for sometime now.

Get a lens with a light, a stamp collector's flashlight is handy for on the road at shows and such. No need to strain your eyes.

D/

#466541  by NHN503

I have a bunch of them and love em. Swapping out the couplers for Sargent Engineering Proto87 couplers, and NWS Proto87 trucks and wheels.

#466635  by Otto Vondrak

Anyone else have good experiences with this new Atlas stuff? I decided I'm going to sit down one evening and "update" the model... as much as I hate to do anything to damage the fine detail, I'll be removing the roofwalks and the ladder. I might even rebuild the ends with "crash posts" like Conrail did to many of their cabins. Also, I'll have to modify the windows slightly, add a wheel inspection "yellow dot" and some appropriate rust and weathering...

-otto-
 #1036450  by ex Budd man

COTS; Clean, Oil, Test, Stencil. It refers to the inspection and testing of the brake system components. I beleave the current standard is 18 years between such testing for ABDX parts.