Railroad Forums 

• Ideas for "limestone" colored paint?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#34162  by Komachi

Hey guys,

Got a couple of projects I'm working on for a friend of mine, one involves a building made of cut limestone and one involves a house/cabin sitting on a limestone cliff. (Limestone is a common rock here in southeastern Minnesota.) As none of my previous layouts ever got far enough to do serious landscaping, I've never painted rock formations before and was wondering if any of you guys had a good mix ("recipie") for painting limestone colored rock? Also, anyone have a good mix using Floquil colors for buildings? Would appreciate any ideas you guys have on this.

#34283  by Throttle_JCKY

Well, I don't have any on my current layout, but on the previous one I did. Searching through my note cards, this is what I have.

(I guess you can usy either PollyS or Floquil)
50% Concrete (this is your base color)
5% plain grey
5% grime black
10% reefer white
25% thinner
a small tint of blue if needed

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I haven't done a ton of it, just a small amount. This was as close as I could get. You will need to do the old mix and see method for adding additional colors. Starting with concrete as the base will help. I believe I tried a plain grey as the base and it didn't look good enough.

Try and try and try, that is the best method I found.

#35049  by Throttle_JCKY

Actually it was Conrail blue and it was a VERY VERY VERY small amount. If you do need to tint it, be careful not to add too much blue, because it will really show (trust me on that one!)

Let me know how it goes and if its good enough of a color for ya. If not maybe I can take another crack at it and paint a few rocks for a test.