Railroad Forums 

• Atlas N scale Guilford SD26

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#32096  by NellsChoo

Hi all

Does anyone know the actual date of release for the Atlas N scale Guilford/Springfield Terminal SD26? I just HAVE to get one of these!! All I can find for a date is "July"

JD

#32510  by fglk

The Guilford SD26's were released a month or two ago.

#32629  by sjl

Same here. The SD-24's came out about a month ago, but I haven't seen the SD-26s in Guilford paint yet.

NellsChoo, you can certainly have mine. I have no need for anything in Guilford paint. Now, if you happen to come up with an RS-3 in Pinsley red, we can talk.....

ron

#32819  by fglk

There should be more info on the Atlas web site on more engions comeing out as well. N Scale Guilford SD26 is comeing out in July 2004. price is $99.99 but you'll most likley get it for less than that from your dealers.

#34033  by NellsChoo

I find hobby shops charge a lot more than they should for their stuff. More than suggested MSRP! It is a shame, as I like to support hobby shops, but not go broke in the process...

#34096  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#34154  by keeper1616

yah for internet shops and ebay ... I don't like paying full price for anything, and my local shop seems to jack everything up and be out of all the good rolling stock.

#34211  by NellsChoo

Untill recently, most of my experiences with hobby shops has been with model cars and building supplies. I rarely find anything good at shops, unless it is a smaller mom & pop type place. Kits seem to always be $10 more than MSRP! And just try to find a "vast selection". Now that I look for train stuff, I find engines still too pricey, and selection very regional. And limited...

In defence of the shops, though, they have to pay for the rent, employees, etc. Though, I guess, so would an internet based store. I dunno... It seems hobby shops are shooting themselves in the foot the way they run their businesses. Recently we walked into Tuckers Hobbies in MA, and almost passed out. Great selection and pretty good prices!! Add in a knowledgible staff and it was a nice experience.

We can say what we want about online VS real hobby shops. If you don't mind helping put real shops out of business, go online and save a buck. If you want to save a buck, go online. If you like to see what you are buying, go to a shop. Etc etc etc... no one's right or wrong...

#34253  by sjl

I can't believe my eyes. It's taken me a few moments to calm down before I respond...

DISCLAIMER: I work part-time in a large model-trains-only hobby shop.

OK. If you're living in the middle of nowhere, then you need to use mail-order and internet shops, just as you would for computers, musical instruments, cameras, or any other hobby-type passion. But if you live within a reasonable distance to a shop, patronize them or they'll be GONE! Do you want to be able to test that $275 decoder-equipped steam locomotive before you plunk your denari down? Hard to do that over the net. How about choosing among 5 different manufacturers' versions of 3-chime air horns? Have you ever needed to ask someone how to install couplers, or which color paint was correct for a particular era, or anything like that? Peruse magazines before you buy them? See the latest and greatest new books? Hard to do that by mail order.

I doubt seriously that anyone's charging more than MSRP -- if so, they should be gone. The prices of locos and cars have gone up because the modelling community, as a whole, is demanding more detail and authenticity. Have you noticed the free-standing brake chains on the Atlas HO scale B-32HW? (Hard to see that in a mail-order catalog, too!)

If you're nearest train shop doesn't have much, give them the opportunity to order what you want from Walthers. If he or she isn't interested, then go elsewhere. But to automatically surf the web to save a few bucks means, ultimately, that the Tucker's Hobbies and the Mainline Hobby Suppy stores that have a great selection won't be able to do that anymore.

ron

PS while I'm on a roll: fglk, could you please type in "the Kings' English"? After all these years in N-Scale, reading is tough enough...

#34307  by NellsChoo

Firstly, I LOVE hobby shops. There's nothing quite like scouring a shop! (unless it is an antique shop!) I am just tired of them being so useless. The chain shops are the worst. Hobby Town has very little in stock and doesn't have a nice atmosphere. Hobby Emporium in Tyngsboro MA is great, but pricey and a 45 minute drive from home. They have a nice stock of train stuff, though. Tucker's as stated earlier is a great shop but even further away. One shop I know which shall remain nameless seems to tack on $10 to every price! And the owner is nasty to his young staff. If someone is going to run a hobby shop, they should do so because they enjoy hobbies as well, not because they want to get rich off hobbyists...

Secondly, not everyone can efford full price. This is a very expensive hobby. Would you pay full price for a new car?

Thirdly, maybe I can't spell perfectly, but one of my better traits is the ability to string together an interesting group of words. I have had items published in magazines and newspapers. So "The King's English" you may desire, but "Jonelle's English" is what you shall get.

Are we even now? Good... lets drop it...

All is forgiven...

(shake hands)
 #34327  by jmp883

Kind of surprised to be reading about hobby shops marking up. I guess they need to in order to make a profit, but I would also guess that they need to do that because they don't have enough business to warrant discounting items. My hobby shop here in northern NJ is always discounted from retail, whether in-stock or special-ordered. This includes reserving yet-to-be released models. In addition, there is a mail-order only supplier here who also discounts quite nicely from MSRP. If you look around, you'll find the good dealers.

www.modelrailwaypo.com/

www.nscaledivision.com/

Check these two links out, I think you'll be happy with what you see.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#34401  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#34528  by sjl

First, I apologize if I offended anyone with yesterday's tirade. It would seem all of you at least gave your local shops a shot at your business.

Second, for the record, the store I work in discounts everything from MSRP, including pre-orders. I've plugged my employer before, so I'll try to stop short of being obnoxious about that. Still, it's hard to believe any dealer out there is marking UP prices in today's market. I doubt his overhead expenses are that much worse than the store down the road....

NellsChoo, my "King's English" comments were NOT directed at you. I am sorry if you took them as such, and will be more careful in the future. (A previous smart-alec remark about Guilford SD26s reflects my distaste for anything Guilford, as I'm an MEC fan.)

(shakes hand in humble embarrassment)

fglk, I agree about Pacific Western -- they come up with great things Canadian Pacific and I have patronized them several times for things in the classic maroon and grey.

Again, I offer my apologies...

Ron

#34583  by bncsx

Hi NellsChoo,

I agree with you about the above mentioned shops, I have been to both .
I was told about one by another railfanner, in Chelmsford, Ma.
"Maine Trains" , I went there once, really enjoyed the experience,and have been going back ever since. (they also have a pretty neat HO layout) I was impressed by the friendliness of the owner, and how helpful he was. I was looking for something he didnt have, he ordered it for me and called me when it was in. I think if its not too far, you should give Maine Trains in Chelmsford a try, I dont think you will be sorry. As far as prices, Im "N-Scale" and all n-scale stuff is expensive to me. :D I have shopped thru the internet, but I like the one-one one interaction you get with a hobby shop. He usually has a nice railfan video playing , too. Say hello to Jerry when you get there!