• Installing Tomar Industries Signals

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Paul Cutler III

David, funny meeting you here. :)

What part of the NH are you modeling in 1951? While some places did have the 3 vertical light signals (like Shoreline Jct.), other places had searchlight-types (like Mansfield), semaphores (like Waterbury), or nothing at all (many branchlines) for that time period.

I take it these are the signals you want?
http://www.tomarindustries.com/H-856.jpg
http://www.tomarindustries.com/H-866.jpg

These are like the signals there were on the Shoreline in Mansfield:
http://www.tomarindustries.com/H-858.jpg
http://www.tomarindustries.com/H-859.jpg

(note that LED's are included, but not LED drivers)

Before that, it was lefthanded semaphores, and good luck finding those.

Also, if you really want to get into this, you might also need number plates on the signal masts. These were usually the milage to two decimal places.

The importance of the number plates is that without them, each signal is an absolute stop, meaning the engineer can go no farther without a special form from the Dispatcher. If the signals had number plates, they were permissive signals, meaning that the engineer could stop and proceed being prepared to stop short of any obstruction without telling the dispatcher.

These can be simulated by gluing small pieces of black-painted styrene on the masts. If you are really picky, then add some white numbers.

BTW, you can also try Integrated Signal Systems:
http://www.integratedsignalsystems.com/

ISS also sells the signal drivers, block detectors, etc., that you need. They also make custom signals.

But if you want full integrated control of your signals, then either you have to do it manually (as in, build a real CTC board), or be a genius in electrical doodads, or go with Digitrax (even the ISS system is only ABS). Digitrax has released all kinds of signal goodies lately that allows total flexibility in signalling, and you may not even have to go with DCC to use it. You definitely have to connect a computer to your layout to run the signal logic with the Digitrax signal system.

There are probably others out there, I just can't think of them at the moment.

No matter what you do, you need to set up a block detection system, using things like the old Twin-T from MR or the latest BDL162 from Digitrax, if you are going to use signals that work.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

wow, thanks for showing me that site!!! They have the signals i want, would need for my line, (hopeing that i can build it), it is the type G signals

http://www.integratedsignalsystems.com/ ... ndmast.jpg
  by Paul Cutler III

David wrote:
I thought I could get away with a 2-light vertical signal where the line enters the main.
Those were usually trainorder boards or used in conjunction with a 3-color signal. Take a look at just about any pic of Canaan station in the NH days, and you will see such a signal on the top of a semaphore mast. These are pretty rare on the NH, IMHO.

Most branchline interlockings with the mainline used a 3 color signal, most times more than one.
Also, uh, what is an LED driver? All of this new model railroad technology came out and I'm miles behind!
Well, essentially, lighting up an LED is pretty simple. Any way to get the right voltage to the leads will get the LED to light up. The problem is, how do you get the right color to light up when you want it to? This requires an "LED driver". A driver can either be part of the block detection circuity or it can be a seperate module that receives commands from a central location to change the position of the signal.

Otherwise, you have to make a bunch of manual control rotary switches to change your signals.

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
wow, thanks for showing me that site!!! They have the signals i want, would need for my line, (hopeing that i can build it), it is the type G signals
Yep, they have the Type G's, just don't use that signal mast in the attached photo. I think those bases were toast in the 1940's when they got rid of the semaphores.

by thrdkilr

David, did you see this month's MR (August)? Looks like just what you r after...

Can anyone answer this, totally un-related, if HO is 1:87.1 scale, would that not make tracks like 7 1/4 ft wide? Where did I get lost?

by Throttle_JCKY

Well, you actually have a few options here. There are several makers of nice quality signals. Probably the top signal when it comes to detail and quality that I have seen would have to be: Integrated Signal Systems, with this signal setup, you can have customized signals made, to fit your location. I plan on using them for my CP's (Interlocking signals).
Tomar makes a great quality signal too. They are strong signals and I plan on using them for intermediate signals along the CIOR. I will eventually put number boards under these to make them intermediates.

Oregon Rail Supply makes nice kits for almost every railroad. They make plastic signal heads and remember, these are KITS, you will get what you need to build them (can't recall if wire is included) but I do know you can buy wire seperate that goes with them. LED's are included and for the most part they are a snap to assemble. (the PRR signal kits aren't to simple, take a little more soldering skills!).

Sunrise makes a nice signal too, but I believe they only make SP and western style signals. If you are in need of searchlight signals, you might check them out (Walthers Cat. has a good selection).

Overall we have a nice selection. ISS custom builds your signals, or comes in kit (I believe). Tomar are assembled, Oregon is Kit, and Sunrise I am not sure about.