Railroad Forums 

• Bachmann SY 2-8-2

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#31506  by denis

I have recently purchased one of these. I will provide my less than professional review, tomorrow. Too late tonight.
 #31593  by denis

OK, I've run this loco for the first time, for about one hour. My impressions:
Wonderfully detailed; an upscale Spectrum
I think everything is accurately downscaled
Has detailed cab, with figures, and yellow-colored interior walls
Probably a little overpriced, but worth somewhat more than the Spectrums
(if they are reduced further, would be a best buy-I paid $129)
A definite candidate for sound
Downside:
Too little weight!-on any kind of a grade, anything over 4 cars & a caboose, will cause full spinning of drivers, and a stall
This is a model that could use traction tires-with this addition, engine would pull many more cars-but, since the drivers are not grooved, adding weight is the only possible method to improve traction.
This model is sold unlettered, and for the Susquehanna-which has one. I think the model could be converted to other, smallish, light Mikes, with a pre-USRA look.
:)

#31901  by Otto Vondrak

Not bad looking... this is a model of the SY as produced by the Tang Shan Locomotive Works in the 1980s... not sure how accurate it would be to portray an earlier American model...

-otto-