Railroad Forums 

• Alone in the forum

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#88479  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Your MTH UP FEF is a nice loco, Track Atlas, MTH, Lionel, K-Line all produce track that will work with it. a Lionel ZW or MTH Z4000 transformer would work well with that loco.
 #88715  by denis

Purchased an MTH F3 Diesel set, w/100 watt transformer, so I could have something to run the above engine on. Great fun, but am totally unable to connect the tracks. I can't imagine a twelve year old kid trying to set up the track. I have tried to press these pieces together with what I considered enough force to do it without destroying the pieces, ---no success. The lip, meant to run under the adjoing track, aligns itself even with bottom of the mating rail base. Are these people kidding? Additional force to mate the tracks, would crush the mating formations. It would appear that nothing short of a press will join these track segments, and once together, I shudder to think what it would take to separate them. I remember what it took to mate Lionel three rail, just pressing the pins into the adjoing rails. Ain't much fun so far.