Railroad Forums 

• Packing up engines and rolling stock for moving.

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#28509  by BobLI

Im moving in a few weeks and need to pack up my engines and rolling stock. I was considering using newspaper or bubble wrap. How many layers of equipment can go into a box without damage, and also my buildings. Any suggestions as to the type of box to use?
 #28534  by Tom Curtin

I have just been doing this.

RE Locomotives & cars: with bubble wrap I think you can be pretty liberal in loading a packing carton. Don't mix locomotives & cars in the same carton.

RE buildings: what I did was go to Staples and buy several boxes of styrofoam "peanuts." Then, using a large carton (TV-set size is a good guideline) I put some peanuts in the bottom, then a few buildings (not touching each other, of course), then enough peanuts to cover everything), then more buildings, and so on.

A building of a size that will fit into a Ziplok bag should be put into one. This way, if any details break off they won't vanish into an ocean of peanuts.

Good luck . . . .

#28535  by pdt

My wife dragged me to the Container Store http://www.containerstore.com/ and pointed me to their shoe boxes. I got a case of them for under $50 and they are the perfect size to fit the majority of my train collection. I used bubble wrap before for moving, but now only use paper towels (no difference in the level of protection and it's much quicker and cheaper). Anyway, here's the info on the boxes to use:

Case of 20 Men's Shoe Boxes 14-3/4" x 10-1/8" x 5-5/8" h
Item # 10001407 $44.99 ea

Other than that, I use Rubbermaid storage bins (the great big ones you can get at Target or Wal-Mart) for boxed models, structures, unbuilt kits, etc. All of these containers are stackable, resistant to crushing and easy to handle. I've moved 22 times now, so I've learned what works for me!

#28540  by Throttle_JCKY

for 2 moves I have used paper ream boxes that you can get almost anywhere for free. I then took old boxes and cut them out, making spacers and flats that kept the next layer off the top of the engines/cars below.

I used cardboard scraps for spacers to keep everything nice and tight, then found some styrofoam to keep the others tight.
I have yet to lose anything like that do to a move. Structures, I also used ream boxes, and only fit what would fit on the bottom, nothing more (sure, more boxes, but it worked well).

I didn't use bubble wrap, or packing peanuts, but I did wrap my engines in brown paper.

#28553  by BobLI

thank you for all the great suggestions!

#28564  by pdt

I suppose it's worth pointing out that my solution isn't intended just for a move. Otherwise, I could have gotten off much cheaper. It's more of a long-term storage solution, so durability was an issue more than expense. But, in my mind, $50 is a small price to pay for storing several thousand dollars worth of trains!

Best of luck to you in your move!

#28579  by WANF-11--->Chaser

I found a couple of sturdy wine boxes and windshield wiper fluid boxes to move my locomotives in. I wrapped each one in bubble wrap and taped the ends shut, then I used crumpled newspapers to pad everything.

My freight cars went into the flat style rubbermade totes laid on their sides and packed tightly so they wouldnt slide around separated by cardboard sheets cut out to separate the levels.

Only except for tank cars which went into some used Cisco Systems component card boxes I got from work. If it's good enough to hold $3000 router cards it can hold my tankers. The foam padding is custom fit to the box and each box has clasps to keep it closed. Very nice!

My buildings were already in storage so I rebuilt and reworked them when I started my new layout. I know it sounds haphazzard but it worked fine, all motive power and rolling stock made it unscathed.

It also helped that I put "fragile" stickers on them too!

#28626  by Otto Vondrak

To transport the equipment, you want to minimize contact with any forces that could jostle the trains enough to damage details. Let's face it, the trains wont break, but handrails, coupler boxes, kadees, grab irons all get lost in a move.

Wrapping cars in crumbled newspaper will cusion your cars and make them easier to stack/stuff into a box. Adding balls of crumpled paper to the ends keep the cars from moving and absorb any shocks. Staples sells these shallow boxes that were perfect for hauling HO cars on their sides, wrapped with paper towels. Believe me, I transported a lot of HO scale equipment between home and college over the years (cigar boxes work great... especially when you model the steam era (40' cars) and are only moving six cars at a time!)

Putting the engines back in their original boxes with all the padding is the best bet. If not available, I would go for one layer of bubble wrap around the locos.

Moving structures is tough. Try putting a structure in a plastic shopping bag, then putting that bag in the box, then fill the box with peanuts. The bag will keep the structure contained (along with any pieces that break off) and you can easily remove the structures without taking a lot of peanuts with you.

-otto-
 #29287  by stuart_iowa

I just moved to a new house in the same town.......a few blocks away. First thing I did after my wife, mother and mother in law all offered to help pack things up was to say no thanks i will pack it myself. No need to get anyone into trouble if something broke in transit

I put all the cars in boxs that they came in if I had them if not I put them in boxes that gift fruit came in that the local school band had sold us. just the right size and the lid folded into the box and sort of sealed itself. Wrapped everything in papertowel or news print. Locomotives were handled the same way. but loosely wrapped so that the extra parts would not be crushed.
Track was sorted and put ito a box that was divided, think it was a box that wine or fine drinking liquids came in. easy to reuse what track I could save and not have to search all over the country for track of certain sizes. Flex track was packed in a long tall box that golf club came in......i do not golf but did manage to have such a beast ....golfers in family.
I know everything managed to make the 8 block trip to the new house and basement in one piece.
Pack carefully and do not over pack, an extra box will add another few steps in loading and unloading but less chance of breakage.
good luck on your move.

Ps just so you know the trains were the first thing unpacked and ready to roll before rest of house was ready

#29744  by BobLI

Once again thank you for all your replies. I know I should start packing everything up but ...........I guess I am waiting for that "last run".

Once again, the tips were of great help.

Oh yes.. I do hope to unpack the trains first. isnt that a priority??
 #31727  by denis

I use Bingo boxes. They are in at least two sizes. They are generally thrown away. The larger ones are shallow, and very stackable.