Railroad Forums 

• Ballast suggestions for yard

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#25755  by CRail

What is the best to use for track bed in yards? Tracks are not bedded with ballast in yards as they are out on the road. What is the most realistic way to floor the yards?

#25798  by WANF-11--->Chaser

Well, there is a lot of flexiblity here. Yards are pretty well customized things. There really isnt a standard that I know of per say.

The yard that I grew up near in Lockport had years and years of different types of ballasting. Some places had cinders, other places had fine stone, some had coarser stone, and some tracks were nearly all dirt in a few spots.

One thing is for sure, most yards - unless brand new, aren't neat and clean.

Try mixing dirt with cinders or darker colored ballast. I also found that washing my ballast with a wash of black/brown acryllic paint also looks great. Weeds and overgrowth on the ballast add realism too.

Also don't forget to sprinkle some "spills" around the rails. In Lockport cars filled with plastic pellets bound for the plastics plant near Delphi Harrison would leak sometimes.

Hope that helps!

#25897  by CRail

it does thanks a lot!!! :D

#25904  by Throttle_JCKY

Yup, there are a few different ways if you so please.
On the old layout I used cinders mixed with small dark grey ballast and some real dirt. For the real dirt, go dig up some in the yard, clean it out removing rocks and then let it set in a sealed coolwhip container, about a week to two later go to the dollar store and get a flat cookie sheet, spread the dirt on the cookie sheet and bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes (til it stinks "best to do in summer months so the better half won't ride your case :D ). Then I take it out and let it cool, then put it into containers to store for a few more weeks.
Finally, I sift it and add it to the mix of yard ground cover.
Sorry to say I don't have a picture of what the yard looked like, but it was very realistic! I got the idea from a friend who is now passed, but it works well, for a minimul effort.

Some use just mainline ballast, others use various cinders, some just straight dirt. One of the railyards I worked out of for a few years was nothing but a mud pit when it rained, since the yard hadn't had ballast dumped in decades.

If you do use the real dirt method, take the time to dry the dirt and sift it well. Nothing like having real life insects roaming the pike! :P

#26601  by Otto Vondrak

On the R&IT, I created a special "blend" that I call simply Yard Mix. Here is the recipe, listed in order from greatest amount to least amount used:

- Woodland Scenics fine cinders (black) (this is 80% of the mix)
- Woodland Scenics fine ballast (brown)
- Woodland Scenics fine ballst (dark gray) (use sparingly)
- Woodland Scenics fine brown turfs (various shades)
- Woodland Scenies fine/coarse green turfs (various shades)

I start by spraying the rails with Floquil Rail Brown. After I clean the tops of the rails and let the paint dry for a day, I come back with my Yard Mix. I use masking tape to cover over the switch points to keep them free and clear of debris and glue. I spread the Yard Mix evenly, making sure not to cover any ties. I spray down the whole yard with a mist of wet water, then I apply the mist of 50/50 white glue and water. Once the yard is soaked (and I mean SOAKED) in glue, I go back and add highlights- spills of bright yellow turf that represent leaking loads, sand dumped by locomotives for traction, etc. I also go back and add green turfs of various shades and grinds to simulate weeds and other growth. I also add plain black cinders to fill in any gaps I may have missed earlier. I add brown turfs to simulate mud and dirt patches. The overall effect is what you make of it... study some real railroad yards to get an idea for your own layout.

Check out these photos to see Yard Mix up close:
http://ritmrc.org/photos/2000feb/media/ ... anyard.jpg

http://ritmrc.org/photos/2000spring/media/caboose2.jpg

http://ritmrc.org/photos/2001summer/media/rit-01.jpg

http://ritmrc.org/photos/2004february/m ... CF0015.JPG

#26629  by atsfman

Since I am modelilng Northwest/Northcentral Oklahoma, I use dirt from the actual locations, going through the normal sift/bake/sift/dry/lay down on railroad procedure others use.

I am aware that on many railroad yards today, especially terminal yards, there may be some tracks that are built and maintained with mainline standards. I know of one yard on the bnSF where there are arrival departure tracks going through the intermodal area, and used by intermodal trains to pick up and set out. They look almost as good as the mainline. Some yard tracks are maintained in excellent condition. On the other hand, tracks used to store cars, serve local industries, are not such good lucking track.

Anyway, I am simply saying not all yards look like decrepit, forelorn, cast off tracks, on the other hand not all yards look like the mainline. There are mixes.
Bob