Railroad Forums 

• Questions about decalling

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#25054  by Sparky

Last weekend, I finally got around to airbrushing three locos, using Polly Scale paint. I've read that I need to let it dry a week before overspraying with gloss coat so I can decal. The question is, how long do I have to wait after air brushing the gloss coat before I can decal?
 #25074  by denis

Sparky,
I wouldn't wait more than 24 hours for any of these coatings, unless your painting underwater :) .

#25086  by Otto Vondrak

I think a day between coats is more than enough.

I've applied Glosscote and decalled later that day... a few hours drying time is all you need. Let the decals set overnight, spray on some Dullcote, and the piece is ready to roll!

-otto-

#25136  by jwb1323

I agree for Poly Scale, 24 hours is enough. I would wait 3 days for Floquil solvent based, and a week or more for Scalecoat. In the cases of the volatile-based paints, I learned many years ago that if you don't wait for the volatiles to evaporate, they'll cause bubbles in the decals. Also, the paint in the volatile based brands doesn't fully cure for several days, and handling the models before it's cured can rub off the paint. So for the specific question about Poly Scale, I will agree, but I will advise more caution with the older types of paint.

#25354  by dti406

Even with the solvent based FLoquil and Scalecoat paints, I have painted, covered with a Gloss Coat and then decaled the next day without any problems.

Rick