• Concrete tie turnouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, Otto Vondrak, stilson4283

by acelaman

Have been looking around for HO scale turnouts w/ concrete ties. Does anyone know of such an animal?

by R143MAN

Me to, but cant seem to locate it. Your looking for Atlas flex trac code 83 concrete ties. I think its #502. I think Peco makes a flex track also but they want liek $119 for a 10 pack.

by jwb1323

The point would be to look for this on the prototype. I'm just not sure if it happens. Check out Cajon or Tehachapi, if not the NEC -- I think switches still have wood ties.
  by acelaman

I travel between NYC/WAS quite often and with most of the upgrading done by Amtrak especially in the vicinity of Seacacus Junction on the NEC I have noticed that all tie replacement is of the concrete type.

by RDG-LNE

There are concrete tie switches on the NEC. "Bacon", "Prince", "Erie" and "Lack" come to my immediate mind, and they have movable frogs for an even smoother ride.

Drew

by graftonterminalrr

Doesn't Micro Engineering produce a line of concrete-tie flextrack? I think I remeber seeing ads in MR a few years back. It would seem to me as logical that they produce the concrete tie turnouts as well, but this is just conjecture on my point... I really don't know as I personally have no need for anything that modern. Maybe just check out the walther's catalog... suppose it can't hurt lol

by Throttle_JCKY

No one that I know of makes a switch that has concrete ties. I imagine it will happen soon, but to my recollection, no one currently makes em.

Flex Track is made by a couple makers for concrete ties. Micro Engineering makes the best looking in my opinion.
  by acelaman

thanks for the info folks, just have to wait until somebody decides to make'em. I currently use Microengineering and PECO flex track w/ concrete ties. I've also got some Atlas floating around somewhere.

by XBNSFer

BNSF had concrete ties on the former BN mainline in the Idaho Panhandle/Eastern Washington area (used to work out there). Theirs were usually "movable point frogs" as opposed to conventional turnouts as well.

by Otto Vondrak

You could also just paint the ties of a black-plastic switch... just mask off the rails with masking tape, and be sure not to paint the switch points shut. I suggest a can of Testor's Light Aircraft Gray.

-otto-

by XBNSFer

The trouble with painting track that is a model of wood ties is that the top of concrete ties have a depressed center, they're not flat like the tops of wood ties. The flat ties painted gray aren't really going to be a great model of the concrete ties. Some of the early problems experienced with concrete ties led railroads not to use them for switches, so wood tie switches with concrete ties for the adjoining track is certainly a valid and prototypical alternative...

I think Central Valley needs to augment their awesome new tie strip track system with similar 9' concrete tie mainline track. Then the choice would be easy!

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

there are still interlockings on the NEC with wood crossovers. some of them are "Forest" and "Plains" (East and West of Forest Hills), "Transfer" and "Read" int. still have wood ties, but everything else is in concrete ties
  by UPMW2000

While I can't name a manufacturer of concrete switches for modelers, I can confirm that they do exist in the real world, those of you who know me, know that I work for UP and we have several X-over plants that are on concrete ties CPY083in Ashton,Y114 in Galt,Y133 which we call frog pond, theres one more between 114 and 133, but my brain is fuzzy right now and I can't remember it, bottom line, they do exist, but so far the only application I know is mainline X-over plants, and it is prototypical to have wood turnouts in otherwise concrete track, hope this helps........Scott

by mlrr

jwb1323 wrote:The point would be to look for this on the prototype. I'm just not sure if it happens. Check out Cajon or Tehachapi, if not the NEC -- I think switches still have wood ties.
They do. I've noticed it on the NEC. Turnouts still have wood ties.