Railroad Forums 

• track conductivity

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#23831  by dogll

anybody have a great way to improve track conductivity? my brass aristocraft track seems to have dead spots. all of the rail joiners were assembled using the screws provided. I guess the weather has tarnished or oxidized the brass.

#24585  by prt1607j

yes i do... some may sound odd but they work
CONDUCTIVE GREASE ON RAIL HEADS
SEWING MACHIN OIL ON RAIL HEADS

GET RID OF PLATSIC WHEELS

GET A TRACK CLEANING LOCO BY LGB

MANY OTHER WAYS
 #72290  by baldie

Suggest that you do NOT put grease on the rail heads. Slipping wheels doesn't get it done!

Other post does seem on the right track (so to speak)! Do trains stop at the same spots all the time? That might be bad joints. Clean them with a bright boy, etc. Do trains stop with no pattern? May be dirty wheels. Clean them good with bright boy etc.

Don't use plastic wheels -- they coat rail heads with crud. You may wish to replace bad joints with something like Hillman Clamps. They provide very positive connection. I've had good luck with using a conductive grease in the joint to seal out water.

I've use a wall sander with a non-metal cleaning pad to clean rail tops. Much less damage to rail than a rail clening locomotive and lots cheaper.

Good Luck!