Railroad Forums 

• I Think I Hit The Jackpot

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#23025  by ShayFan

Hello,

It's been a while since the last time I was in the Forum so I got some catching up to do. Today, I think I made one of those rare amazing finds. I was starting home from Ohio when I decided to go to a town near my parents camp. There was a sale going on with people in different parts of the town selling different things. I went into one of those buildings where you would find almost anything and found two boxes with HO scale train kits in them, all Roundhouse, Athearn, and Keystone. I ended up carrying out the whole Kit-N-Kabodle for $10. I now started going through the boxes and here's what I've found so far:

1 MDC 3 truck shay
1 small building (assembled)
1 JV Hobbies craftsman Boyd Logging Camp, unassembled
1 0-6-0 Swicher without tender
3 MDC Old Time passenger cars (combine, coach, observation)
1 Keystone Grasse River Caboose
4 Climax Log Cars (Keystone)
2 Athearn 40' wood boxcars
1 cast metal tractor (treads)
1 NWSL can motor NIP
1 logging tank car (old time tank car tank mounted on an Athearn 40'
flatcar
1 Athearn work caboose
1 MDC 30' caboose (new unassembled)
1 Highway Miniatures ford truck (NIB)
2 Atlas turnouts sealed in packages
Assorted model paints, track ,and tools

My belief is whoever owned this lot must have been modeling a logging railroad. I will bring this equipment into my existing fleet, and put it to use one day. I'm not meaning to brag, just share what I found. Anyone come across any deals like this?

#23059  by NYC-BKO

Yes,
I always look for trains at yard sales and flea markets, I have gotten some good deals. Although the last one I missed by about a minute, box full of blueboxes, someone else was looking too and beat me to it. Darn red lights held me up just enough! I have walked away with alot for under 10.00 and I throw away the junk.

That looks like a great find there.