Railroad Forums 

• DCC mobile decoders for IHC engines

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#318179  by paulrail

Has any one installed a mobile decoder in an IHC engine;...diesel, steam or electric? If so, what mfgr and model # did you use?

I recently acquired a 4-6-2 pacific and a new GG-1 electric engine. I have used mostly Digitrax in my 20 or so other locomotives.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Paul
 #337260  by Hostler

I use NCE 13SRJ decoders. These have a JST 9 pin plug. I use these in case something happens to the decoder, I just unplug the bad one, and plug in a new one. I use the 13SRJ on steam engines because in the future I plan to start installing Soundtraxx Tsumani sound and these sound decoders use the same 9 pin JST plug. I have also swapped decoders to another engines when I ran short and wanted to run a new engine. I keep some spare JST harnesses on hand. You could also use the 13SR - hardwire unit. You might want to use a Miniatronics 4 pin plug/connector assembly to get power to the motor and headlight. You will have to open the engine and do some rewiring - 1. you have to isolated the motor from power pick-up wires 2. Remove light leads from track power and run leads to the the decoder. IHC engines are not DCC ready, but they do have a power connector from engine to tender so you have pick-up from both engine and tender.