Railroad Forums 

• Any layouts patterned after specific prototype?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#20247  by Tom Curtin

What do you mean? A layout that is an exact (as exact as on can make it) copy of a specific location? Or simply that the person paints/letters all his equipment for the same prototype railroad?

#20465  by ak-milw

Well, probably both answers, exact place and railroad!

#20480  by tocfan

I am in the process of designing 6 modules for our modular club layout that will be and uncompressed section of NYC's pre 1950 Corning, Ohio yard. I have the passenger station partially scratchbuilt and have plans for several other buildings.

Mike Fleming
Bartlett, Tn
 #20482  by Komachi

Are we talking current layouts or future layouts as well?

My current layout is a temporary one that I'm using to hone my modeling skills on. Athough it is small (2.5' x 12') the trackage (ballast, throws etc.) will be MILW in origin.

The "big one" I'm planning is going to be based on the MILW Reno (MN) to Preston (MN) line with extentions to other lines at Austin (MN) and Winona (MN).

The early motive power on my road (1976 - 1986) will also be of MILW origin, primarily EMD SW-1s ("mules").

That's about the extent of MILW influence on my layout.
 #20509  by Tom Curtin

I model the New Haven in Danbury, CT in the early 50's (when I was a little kid). I was able to obtain a New Haven "val map" which has the whole place in exact 1:1200 scale, and I converted it to HO using Cadrail software (I more or less made up the process for re-scaling as I went, and the process is too lengthy to explain here, but I will describe the process if readers are interested).

I also extensively researched exactly what equipment --- right down to locomotive numbers and passenger train consists --- that were used at the time; so when complete this will be a precise reproduction of New Haven's Danbury in every way. Then over the course of nearly 25 years I have been acquiring the right equipment. This has required me to get mostly very limited-run brass stuff when it was available.

Maybe it will amaze and mystify some readers that somebody expends energy being so slavishly precise; but hey, that's my idea of fun --- what can I say?

Incidentally, if you know the place, the "loop tracks" work out to 45" and 47" radius, respectively, in HO.

#20544  by ak-milw

Tom, I know exactly what you mean. I have been researching my Milwaukee Road layout for nearly three years. Getting track maps, then making them work in the space I have. Also researching the buisnesses along the way, stations yards, motive power everything! I will be modeling 1950 to about 1970 Milwaukee Road, Portage wisconsin to Tunnel City Wisconsin. Most of my freinds think I'm nuts , they just want to build and run. To me it's like modeling history! :P
 #20660  by pdt

I can totally relate to Tom here. I have been slowly collecting equipment to depict Bottineau, ND in the space of a week I spent there between college and high school. My grandparents live there so I've grown up visiting every few years. I was always fascinated by the trains there and, as it happens, I was able to catalog many of the freight cars and locomotives that appeared there in late July early August 1991. Also, since my grandpa was mayor there, I had pretty easy access to the archives and was able to scan an old aerial photo. Anyway, I have begun putting some of this info on the web as I work on the buildings, locomotives and rolling stock. Here's a link: http://www.geocities.com/norfolksouther ... Botno.html

At one time I constructed a model of the fertilizer bulk blend plant from my own drawings, but it was seriously damaged in a move. I've kept it to rebuild, but it's not in a state to photograph and put up on the site. The other buildings are pretty much standard prairie fare: corrugated siding, board and batten and lapped siding buildings with the poured concrete grain elevators and a few "Butler bins" for variety. Small enough to be modeled in HO with little compression.

I don't plan on building a layout per se. At least not in the tradition I've built my previous layouts. I only plan on having the minimal trackage that exists on the ground there, which prohibits much switching activity beyond pushing long cuts of hoppers. So, it probably won't be too much fun to operate which means it will end up being pretty much a static display. Maybe I'll build the ends to modular standards so it can be incorporated into a larger layout, but like everything else, that's pretty far down the road...

#22598  by Throttle_JCKY

I "proto-freelance" what was once a PRR double track mainline.
Its basically a modern what if type, based on the PRR mainline from Columbus Ohio to Indianapolis Indiana (only model the Richmond Indiana-Indianapolis segment)

http://www.trainweb.org/cior

#24156  by atsfman

Layout contains the ATSF Okla mainline to Texas through Okla City, modeled portion Guthrie to OKC, the Enid District from Guthrie to Kiowa KS, modeled, the BN Avard District from Tulsa to Avard OK (ATSF main),
modeled portion, Douglas OK to Avard.

Doesn't mean every town modeled exactly, but every town modeled.
 #25103  by railliar

Without going into an explanation of how the Sandric & Lake Superior came to be one with the D&RGW, I model the latter's mainline from Pueblo, Colo., to Salt Lake City, Utah. It includes a staging yard named Denver which spills onto the layout at Dotsero.

There's a lot of fancy in what I do, but it is Rio Grande in standard and narrow gauge and concentrates its operation between Salida and Grand Junction, Colo.

eric

#25139  by NYC-BKO

After years of indecision of what railroad to model - NYC - PC - or Conrail, I've decided on the NYC from the late fifties till the end, although I still have equipment up till Conrails demise.

Layout is going to be based on a freelance line that never existed so I am not stuck with specific prototype structures and signals. It will follow a realistic route though, and interchange with prototypical RR's. Atleast that is the dream!! :wink: Equipment will be prototypical of the era.
 #25712  by DocJohn

I am modeling a "combination" of both railroads focusing on secondary lines in the 50s and early 60s. I need some bullseye signals that will do red/yellow/green in each target, preferably with 2 or 3 targets per mast such as was found a junctions, etc.

Is there a source for these?

DocJohn
Macon, GA