Railroad Forums 

• Bachmann Repair Issue - Missing parts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#20049  by WANF-11--->Chaser

Hi,

I recently purchaced a Bachmann 0-6-0 USRA switcher. My first steam engine purchase ever.

Got home and took it out of the box. Found the piston connecting the cylanders to the main rod missing. Totally gone, nada, zilch. so the main rod just hangs off the drive wheels flopping around.

This was on the side of the locomotive facing away from the box.

Yes I know thats what I get for not opening the box and looking.

I filled out the web form on the Bachmann website over a week ago and nobody has gotten back to me. Needless to say I may just chuck this thing in my pile of Ebay auction stuff and forget Bachmann and steam engines all together.

Has anyone else dealt with Bachmann in obtaining missing parts?

#20076  by blueduck577

Usually if you email them and tell them your address, they will send spare parts for free. I have not done this with Bachmann, but my friend has. I have done this with Atlas before.

#20128  by Chuck Walsh

Please, be a little more patient.
Perhaps follow up as suggested and whats your recourse thru the seller?

#20285  by WANF-11--->Chaser

Thanks for the replies. I will hang on. It's nothing life threatening.

I bought the locomotive at an out of town show. I'm kicking myself for not inspecting it thoroughly before leaving.

Lesson learned!

I'll give it another week or so then maybe send an actual email and not a web form. Sometimes those things don't work.

If anyone else has anything to add to this post, please do!

Thanks!

#20459  by jwb1323

My own experience with Atlas has been not-so-good. More than once I've gotten an Atlas HO diesel from a reputable store, gotten it home, and found the handrails that are to be installed by the modeler are missing. This includes the full sets under the foam box on older units, as well as the end handrails on newer untis. I've learned since then ALWAYS to inspect for presence of handrails in the box if I'm buying in person. I've still had the problem, though, if I'm buying mail order, even from very reputable dealers like Caboose Hobbies.

This happened to me in late 2003 with an HO FM H16-44. The box was sealed when I got it, so I'm pretty sure this is a QA issue in China. However, Atlas's response was that they no longer carry spare parts for such things -- they would have to ask the factory in China to run off a new set of handrails, and replacement would take months (and in my estimation, probably fall through a crack at some point).

It took quite a bit of squeaky-wheel action, including threats of various kinds and a demand to have Atlas's CEO come up with a better solution, to get a set of handrails they "just happened to find around the factory" sent to me several days later. If I hadn't stood up, I probably would never have gotten the parts.

This is a downside of doing business in China, though clearly Atlas doesn't plan for such QA problems, which I think they should.

I was able to get as far as I did with Atlas, of course, because I'd purchased the unit from a reputable dealer and could back up my story of the box being sealed when I got it. Wouldn't wash from a train show.