• Weathering Techniques for Bricks and Mortar

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by viken

I asked a similar question awhile ago but am still looking for something that works for me.

What are your techniques for simulating brick mortar joints in plastic models? Washes of thinned paints don't seem to do much but lighten the whole wall. Chalk powder doesn't stay on. What works for you?

A related question ... many years ago I read a suggestion to use a wash of India ink on virtually everything in order to achieve a general weathered look. What are your techniques?

Thanks for any suggestions.

by WANF-11--->Chaser

I used plain patching plaster, a little on the thin side wiped it on and then wiped it off. It left plaster in the mortar joints and looked good by my standards.

Maybe you could try that?

by Chuck Walsh

MR had a similar recommendation an issue or two back."Spackling compound".

by Otto Vondrak

a couple of techniques:

1) paint your bricks a solid brick red color. after dry, rub joint compound into the wall, to fill the cracks. after its dry, stain it dark to kill the bright white.

2) paint your bricks a solid brick red color. make a 50/50 wash of white latex and water... apply to the walls. a day later, take fine steel wook and buff the surface of the bricks, leaving white coloration in the cracks between the bricks.

-otto-