Railroad Forums 

• Repowering an HO Bachmann Metroliner

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#875387  by green_elite_cab

I'm almost positively going to go with the Stanton Drives for this. If you have an hold metroliner with Die-cast frames, it should be good to roll. There is also space to hide weights if you have to.

Right now, i'm actually breaking in my Dummy Metroliners to see if they'll actually run on a layout without failing. I have the drawbar hooked up to my Broadway GG1 #917, it looks hilarious, but they run smoothly. I had a powered frame hooked up with DCC, but there is no stopping that noise.
 #875551  by AntonioFP45

green_elite_cab wrote:I'm almost positively going to go with the Stanton Drives for this. If you have an hold metroliner with Die-cast frames, it should be good to roll. There is also space to hide weights if you have to.

Right now, i'm actually breaking in my Dummy Metroliners to see if they'll actually run on a layout without failing. I have the drawbar hooked up to my Broadway GG1 #917, it looks hilarious, but they run smoothly. I had a powered frame hooked up with DCC, but there is no stopping that noise.
I checked out the website. Only thing that still has me wondering is if that one truck with the small motor assembly will enable smooth 70-80 scale mph operation, especially since my Metros weigh 9 to 10 ounces each.

That's why I had been wondering about the BULL ANT, although it certainly is an expensive option.
 #875572  by green_elite_cab

AntonioFP45 wrote:I checked out the website. Only thing that still has me wondering is if that one truck with the small motor assembly will enable smooth 70-80 scale mph operation, especially since my Metros weigh 9 to 10 ounces each.

That's why I had been wondering about the BULL ANT, although it certainly is an expensive option.
Have you ever tried one of these powered trucks? Trust me, they are more than enough to do what you need them to do. the weight only improves performance, especially if you put it over the truck. My powered truck definitely appears to be moving fast enough on my Arrow III Single. It has a Black Beetle Underfloor drive, which is very similar in design to the NWSL products. It has the speed, and if you put at least one per metroliner pair, you should be able run smoothly at speed.

I think the only trouble with the smaller trucks is usually the slow speed operation, not the high speed. Even that isn't a big deal, because with decoder adjustments this also goes away. I'm not sure you could get up to the higher ends of Metroliner speeds, but you can certainly get the 80 scale miles per hour.
 #891515  by AntonioFP45

OK, I'm seriously considering the Stanton Drive since.

One other thing..........Any suggestions for replacements for these "PIZZA CUTTER" wheels? I've removed the Bachmann sideframes. Each axle is held in place by two tiny "hook" protrusions from the truck frame. The axles rub on them.........which would explain the resistance to free rolling . With enough running time, I'm concerned that the "hooks" will wear away.

If possible, I'd rather replace the entire truck and install the Bachmann side frames on the replacement. Remarkably the side frames look good. I've sent an email to IHP, asking them if they stock a truck for one of their commuter car models that could potentially work for the HO Bachmann Metros. I included the dimensions posted on this thread.

I initially thought about using the trucks off of the Walthers Horizon passenger cars, but they're rather cheesy themselves with wheel wobble and flimsy metal plates that hold the axles in place.

Suggestions are appreciated.
 #891518  by ApproachMedium

I would go with using the Walthers trucks from the Budd passenger cars. Actually the best bet would be to get a set of Walthers Viewliner/Superliner trucks. These are exactly the same trucks that the Metroliner cars and as current cab cars use. Then use the Stanton drive for the truck you want to power and the bachmann sideframes. That would be your best bet.
 #891547  by green_elite_cab

AntonioFP45 wrote:OK, I'm seriously considering the Stanton Drive since.
Just make sure you get them with brass gears, not the delrin that comes standard. they make a little noise, but already, my Silverliner IIIs have worn out an axle gear. I may have put more weight than needed, but its not much heavier than the Metroliner cars and their metal bottoms.
One other thing..........Any suggestions for replacements for these "PIZZA CUTTER" wheels? I've removed the Bachmann sideframes. Each axle is held in place by two tiny "hook" protrusions from the truck frame. The axles rub on them.........which would explain the resistance to free rolling . With enough running time, I'm concerned that the "hooks" will wear away.
What kind of trucks do you have? My Metroliner trucks have needle point axles and roll incredibly (in fact, unbelievably) smoothly. Then again, mine are all first run Metroliners, i don't know if they changed on later runs.
 #891567  by AntonioFP45

Before I forget...........to answer an earlier question, my Metros don't have needle points on their axles. I'll have to check to verify but all, except for one are later run units with the plastic pantographs. The one exception has metal pans and better trucks, which I believe is first run. Runs rough and noisy but it will be repowered.
-----------------------

Now, regarding the trucks:

I thought that the Budd Metros trucks were unique but I went to Walthers website, typed in "Superliner Trucks" in the search box and found this:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/732-422

I put one of my Metros' side frames against the photo on the computer screen and it does appear identical. These are TSP trucks, though, not Walthers. I am wondering what type of adapting would be required.
 #892153  by Mirai Zikasu

Antonio, the Metroliners had GSI trucks which are the same type currently in use on the Superliner IIs, Horizons, Viewliners, and former MHC II fleet. The only major difference of which I'm aware on the prototype is that the Metroliners' trucks were powered. As far as modeling goes, I just picked up Train Station Product's Kit #420 GSI truck kit to check out the details and use it for rehabbing my Metroliners and rebuild one into a cab car. I would recommend using TSP Kit #420 instead of Kit #422 designed for the Superliner IIs. The two kits have the same truck, but in the Superliner II kit the shock absorber design is a bit different due to how they're mounted on the prototype. Anyway, here is a photo showing what comes with the truck kit.

It consists of two sets each of mounting brackets, sideframes, shock absorbers, and coupler pocket lids. The bracket is designed for truck-mounted couplers, but that part is easily enough cut off. The sideframes snap onto the bracket, and the shock absorbers can either be attached to the trucks if you need to operate on really tight radii track or floor mounted for a more prototypical look. Now, as far as mounting the trucks go, as you can see the brackets are pieces of plastic with some holes for screws. There's a big round post on the sideframes that attaches to the mounting brackets, and there's three ways to go about putting them on the cars. Bachmann Metroliners have a long mounting post that goes all the way down to the bottom of the trucks where a screw holds them together. Depending on how you orient the bracket, it can be low on the trucks--which I think might fit onto the Bachmann Metroliner posts--or high on the trucks, in which case I would recommend shaving down or outright cutting off the mounting posts and making new ones from styrene posts or a mounting box like on the Walthers Amfleets. If you're comfortable with heavily modifying the floor or making new floors for your Metroliners, I would recommend making new mounting posts/boxes since the trucks on the first and second run Metroliners are mounted a noticeable bit farther towards the end of the car than the prototype. (Let me point out that I have the second run Metroliners with metal pantographs and a swivel gear coupler. I have no experience with the third run Metroliners with the plastic pantographs, truck-mounted Talgo couplers, and cut-away end detail for said Talgo couplers.)

Also, I would recommend Proto 2000 36" wheelsets to go with your new trucks. They're metal wheelsets with a plastic axel, and I've had pretty good experiences with them both as designed and also modified to be an inner bearing truck on Walthers Amfleets.
 #893393  by AntonioFP45

Mirai,

Thank you very much for posting the photo of the TSP GSI truck kit. Now I have a much better idea of what I'll be dealing with. I'll take a photo of my stock Metro trucks and post them on this thread.
 #895058  by AntonioFP45

Hi guys,

Here are the photos of the type of truck that I have on all but two of my Metroliners.

Photo 1 is the truck mounted in on the floor. The truck's "tower" protrudes up with a pair of ears that rest on the floor. The molded cover above it prevents the truck from swiveling a full 360 degrees. Image

Shots of the truck off of the Metroliner's frame (note the ears):
ImageImage

Sorry for the blurriness, but here is the feature that I find annoying. The axles with the "PIZZA CUTTER" wheels are held in place by very thin molded hooks that also provide resistance to good, free rolling qualities on an already heavy car.
ImageImageImage

So this why I was pondering as to what I could do to make these Metros better free rolling with realistic looking wheels while keeping the truck side frames. I'm interested in the TSP truck since the correct sideframes are available. But I'm trying to figure out how to adapt it to the Metroliner's floor.
 #895068  by ApproachMedium

There's a lot of plastic on that metroliner floor. You can most definatly fabricate something. Your metro trucks are not uncommon as these are the same as the original amfleet trucks from the oldest of bachmann amfleet cars.
 #895101  by ApproachMedium

Theses are similar to the trucks used in the new amfleet models. Remove the tiny clips holding the axles in and then glue a piece of styrene over the bottom of the truck so the axles don't fall out. Viola! Cheap easy fix.
 #923197  by haberbeckbrandao

Hi for all,

This topic is very exciting. Very nice the development of new solutions to enjoy the old Metroliners
I also made a hard change in my Metroliner engine using local resources, very different from your suggestions, in the US.
It's very hard to change foreign railroad models living outside the US, where there are few dealers of your main commercial brands, and high expenses to import spare parts from overseas.
Using local Frateschi parts, and remaining original Metroliner components, I got a very unusual manner to get a smooth and a relatively silent running (similar to the earlier Athearn or Atlas engines).
Basically I used two Frateschi B-B power trucks (from regular G-12/G-22/
FA-1 and U5B engines), the same Atlas dual flywheel motor, and Frateschi power axles (extended) and a GE U20C chassis. The rest was a lot of imagination, many leveling shimes and adhesive resin.
I prefer to share the pictures with you. Remembering that it's only an exotic and specific solution for my case, here in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
After 34 years, I finally can enjoy my Metroliner. In our railroad model club
here, it's the only train of this model.
My best regards
Carlos