Railroad Forums 

• PreWar / PostWar

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#453  by james1787

Can Prewar Lionel run on more modern Lionel track? I have a PreWar passenger train that I'm not sure if I'll have to put it's own track down when I eventually build a layout.

#1120  by boyishcolt

no
prewar is a slighly different size and guage
 #1484  by dkgrubb

Prewar will run on postwar track. Itis slightly smaller, but it still operates just fine.

#1898  by chuchubob

My prewar O gauge train runs on my postwar 027 track. The engine derails on switches sometimes because the flanges are so big.

#2120  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Unless its standard Gauge track, Your train will run on "modern" tracks.

#3166  by james1787

I don't think it's Standard Guage. Wasn't Standard Guage only two rail? I know the locomotive and passenger cars are all 3-Rail due to the electrical pickups on the tin coaches.

#3206  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Standard is 3 rails as well, just larger.

"S" scale has 2 rails and is smaller then O.

#11990  by JMBethpage

Yes, my 1940 Lionel locomotive and railcars run just fine on recently purchase track and switches.

#12023  by james1787

Just FYI, this is more or less the set I have (almost the exact same colors and markings!! Just picture dark green roofs and dark green windows on the passenger cars and you have my set. All right down to the copper / brass tin on everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 68603&rd=1

Someday I'll take it out for pics.. but it would be nice to have it run again some day!

#41601  by 1st Barnegat

chuchubob wrote:My prewar O gauge train runs on my postwar 027 track. The engine derails on switches sometimes because the flanges are so big.
Same for me on O-27 and on Gargraves track. But my pre-WWII O-gauge "Yankee Flyer," Lionel cars 616, 617, and 618, a model based on the Burlington Zephyr, will run on Lionel O-gauge track. The flange ways are deeper, and the radius of turn is slightly larger, as tight as 31 inches on a diameter vice 27 inches with 0-27.

#44262  by james1787

I actually had my tinplate stuff out last night and decided to find some track to try it out on - it fits! Of course I don't have a power supply or room to setup a layout, but I've been getting an idea to create a layout on a piece of plywood - no scenery or anything.. just something I can keep flat and slide under the bed when not in use.. hmmm...