Railroad Forums 

• American Model Builders Wheel Paint Masks

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1349671  by glennk419

I have a significant number of Walthers Horizon commuter car wheels that need to be painted. I am looking at the AMB wheel masks and was wondering which model would be the best for these wheels. Numbers 907, 909 and 911 are all for 36' wheels from Kadee, Intermountain and Proto respectively. Has anyone used these for this purpose and if so, what model # did you use?
 #1350612  by JamesRR

I'm in the same situation. Have 24 Walthers Horizon (Comet commuter) cars that I need to paint the wheels on.
I was thinking kit 911 would work, as the wheels on those Horizon cars are incorrectly 36" scale size. (not 33" which the prototypes are)
 #1350625  by glennk419

JamesRR wrote:I'm in the same situation. Have 24 Walthers Horizon (Comet commuter) cars that I need to paint the wheels on.
I was thinking kit 911 would work, as the wheels on those Horizon cars are incorrectly 36" scale size. (not 33" which the prototypes are)
Thanks James. I have almost that many cars to do myself. I painted my original Bachmann Amfleet wheels by hand and it was painful. I'm guessing the different jigs use different depth plastic based on the different tread depths for the three manufacturers listed.