Railroad Forums 

• Atlas AEM7/ALP44?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1307067  by cnj1524

Whats going on with atlas,it seems they dont invest,instead keep rerunning primitive models and now fantacy
road equipped locos,I see they dropped 2 roads from the AEM7s,Nothing is changing from there first release
but sound(which means lighter weight)No septa AEM7s(or the single ALP)No Marc units,but stuff that just wont
probably sell,every time they have an update on release its of an old product just different paint,it seems
they are really falling behind with todays modeling,Athearn is well ahead of the game and suprisingly Bachmann
too,as atlas has great drive systems(very smooth running)its like they are going backwards,for a company that
was at the top for some time,I know for a fact there were company changes as back in the day(not that long ago)
all there machining equipment was sold off(or scrapped)remember it was Atlas Tool company but it is becoming
a company that just doesnt have any Ideas left
 #1307175  by Backshophoss

Atlas,like the other manufactures,uses contract factories in China,the production cost per run is
rising,the labor costs are rising as well,and in some cases,factories are over booked,smaller runs
are bumped off for longer,cheap cost runs that factory owners/mangers prefer(more profit).
Bachmann/Sader Kan own the factory outright,Bachmann does more business in UK and Europe,
then stateside.
Walters,Athearn,and some of the smaller Companies,maintain a office,or hire an agent to
handle /manage their operations in China,including the molds and other tooling(and other costs)

The other limit is the amount of space avaible on the Container Ships heading to US ports,
containers get bumped off for massive shipments to the Big Box Stores.
 #1309030  by ApproachMedium

Atlas used good marketing with the new release. The most sought after pieces were put out there, the NJT and Amtrak models. and the fantasy roads were put out for pre order. They did not consider the septa models because even today the septa and marc units are floating around and nobody wants them. They are valued at less than $20 an engine, meanwhile undecs, NJT and Amtrak all fetch well over 100 bucks per unit.
 #1309131  by B44NYC

SEPTA, MARC & NJ Transit are 3 transit agencies that are very particular about granting licensing, which is why you see small amounts of items released in the hobby.

I'm actually surprised Rapido was able to come up with an agreement to produce Metro North & LIRR models (i.e., FL-9, Osgood Bradley Coaches, Budd Coaches) and hopefully they'll produce modern day commuter cars down the road.

I remember several years ago their was a run of Bachmann SEPTA PCC streetcars, and Walthers SEPTA Horizon Fleet Cars that got into licensing issues and the hobby shops were ordered to pull them from the shelves.
 #1309191  by Backshophoss

All state run commuter operations have trademarked their logos,while not mean about (CSX + UP saw $$$$)
they are protective of the "Brand".
NY's MTA understood the History behind their various operations,and has treated the hobby fairly
decently.
Athearn had agreements with TRE,Metrolink,Sounder,Coaster,and NMRX for 2 runs of
Engines and the BBD "sausage" bi-levels,1 run was for "gifting" to various political personel
and anything left over was sold off to local Hobby shops,with a possibilty of a small 2nd run.
However the NMRX models had enough demand for N scale and 2 more HO scale runs.
NMRX was at the time involved in the "trademark"process and had to deal with an "aftermarket"
company that made Roadrailer bogies under the name "Railrunner". That was settled "out of court" according
to local news reports.
Athearn had to get a new license for runs 3 + 4 and the N scale run from NMRX due to the demand
for the models.
 #1309193  by Ken S.

Backshophoss wrote:All state run commuter operations have trademarked their logos,while not mean about (CSX + UP saw $$$$)
they are protective of the "Brand".
NY's MTA understood the History behind their various operations,and has treated the hobby fairly
decently.
Athearn had agreements with TRE,Metrolink,Sounder,Coaster,and NMRX for 2 runs of
Engines and the BBD "sausage" bi-levels,1 run was for "gifting" to various political personel
and anything left over was sold off to local Hobby shops,with a possibilty of a small 2nd run.
However the NMRX models had enough demand for N scale and 2 more HO scale runs.
NMRX was at the time involved in the "trademark"process and had to deal with an "aftermarket"
company that made Roadrailer bogies under the name "Railrunner". That was settled "out of court" according
to local news reports.
Athearn had to get a new license for runs 3 + 4 and the N scale run from NMRX due to the demand
for the models.
I'm still surprised that the various NYMTA HO models haven't appeared in the NYTM Stores with a 50% markup yet.
 #1309304  by ApproachMedium

They do sell them there. Christmas time they sell the Lionel and Metro north sets and I bought my R22 set from the museum shop in GCT. I paid about $10 under MSRP for it there.
 #1310453  by glennk419

ApproachMedium wrote:Atlas used good marketing with the new release. The most sought after pieces were put out there, the NJT and Amtrak models. and the fantasy roads were put out for pre order. They did not consider the septa models because even today the septa and marc units are floating around and nobody wants them. They are valued at less than $20 an engine, meanwhile undecs, NJT and Amtrak all fetch well over 100 bucks per unit.
I'd love to find a SEPTA AEM-7 for 20 bucks. Virtually all I've seen are well over $100.
 #1310458  by ApproachMedium

glennk419 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Atlas used good marketing with the new release. The most sought after pieces were put out there, the NJT and Amtrak models. and the fantasy roads were put out for pre order. They did not consider the septa models because even today the septa and marc units are floating around and nobody wants them. They are valued at less than $20 an engine, meanwhile undecs, NJT and Amtrak all fetch well over 100 bucks per unit.
I'd love to find a SEPTA AEM-7 for 20 bucks. Virtually all I've seen are well over $100.
Oh boy, now where are my friends at who couldnt GIVE away their Septa AEM-7s...It seems suddenly people on ebay think they are worth something again because the old Amtrak and NJT models are still selling for close to the MSRP. Nobody wants the septas though esp for that price.
 #1310611  by cnj1524

Atlas has posted there current conditions with changing manufacturers due to cost,its on their facebook page
They had to repair various molds due to damage,well all in all I hope it works out for them and that the have
new products in 2015 and not reruns of 15 year old molds with new paint schemes,still a great company that
just needs some updated tooling
 #1311755  by acelaphillies

Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation.

Before I say anything, check out this post on the Atlas Rescue forum: http://atlasrescueforum.proboards.com/t ... llTo=50919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whats going on with atlas,it seems they dont invest,instead keep rerunning primitive models and now fantacy
road equipped locos,I see they dropped 2 roads from the AEM7s,Nothing is changing from there first release
but sound
Actually, this is not entiurely true. The paint has all been changed up on the Phase V Amtrak version. The underbody has been corrected to dark gray from black and the blue has been corrected from the purpleish color to the correct blue. Also the "wave" logos have been added. So not any tooling changes (to my knowlege), but not "nothing has changed." I would have liked ditch lights myself, but I guess Atlas deemed that it was too cost prohibitive. With all of their overseas problems they definitely seem to be on a tighter budget than Athearn for example.
No septa AEM7s(or the single ALP)
Atlas does not have the rights to SEPTA. Plus, as others before me have stated, the market for those and the MARC units is satisfied. I see the MARC stuff all the time on eBay. Another run of those would not sell well. Plus, becuase there are no SEPTA coaches on the market, those would have very little market as well. Like AM said, the Amtrak and NJT models seem to really be the consistent sellers.
Whats going on with atlas,it seems they dont invest,instead keep rerunning primitive models and now fantacy road equipped locos
I've said this before on other forums and I will say it again here: before you bash fantasy locos think about the fact that they provide extra revenue needed in order to justify a run of a certain model. For example, if Atlas ran just the Amtrak and NJT units they may make XX dollars. $XX may not be enough to jusify a rerun, but with fantasy locos they may make $YY amount of money. $YY is enough for the company to give the model the green light, so they do it. Now, the people that wanted the Amtrak and NJT locos are happy becuase they can have them. I don't understand why prototype modelers seem to get so annoyed when a company releases fantasy locos. In fact, proto modelers should LOVE fantasy locos, becuase they make the release of the real locos possible. For me, I'm not going to buy the fantasy locos, but I am thankful that they can make the other locos a reality.

P.S. I don't know how this run did, but if it sold well don't think that Atlas is closed minded to modifying the tooling for an AEM-7AC.