Railroad Forums 

• Despatch Junction Will Return...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1305563  by umtrr-author

Some of you might recall the spectacular fire that destroyed the historic New York Central freight station and the business, a model railroad store called Despatch Junction, that was located here in my area. (There's one or more threads about this on this board... mods, feel free to merge this in.)

Well, good news straight from the owner, whom I spoke with: the store IS being rebuilt. It will be modeled after another New York Central station that was built a couple of years after the original "Despatch" (East Rochester) station. This has been reported here and there around the 'net but I can now positively confirm the reports.

Target opening is Memorial Day 2015, a year after the fire. This will allow the owner to get back to business with a lot less red tape ("grandfathering" the site to be more specific).
 #1329902  by PopPop41

Good News!!

On Friday, May 8th I drove by the site and was pleasantly surprised to see a nearly completed structure for the new store. Walls, roof, windows and vapor barrier on the exterior. Looks like the siding will go up very soon. Might not make a Memorial Day opening, but should be this summer.

Chris
 #1330043  by umtrr-author

From the owner himself, the opening must make Memorial Day otherwise there are a pile of new hoops to jump through (zoning, etc.). They're grandfathered in for a year after the fire that destroyed the building.

If it's exactly one year, then May 26, 2015 has to be the Grand Opening. He doesn't have to be fully stocked, just open for business. I've been told that there was plenty of stock off-site that can be brought into the rebuilt shop.
 #1333674  by umtrr-author

Well, hopefully the pile of new requirements won't be an issue... since Despatch Junction didn't open this week.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/ne ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A popular model railroad store that burned to the ground last Memorial Day is now expected to reopen by the end of June. The fire broke out at Despatch Junction around 6 p.m. on May 26, 2014.
 #1338608  by umtrr-author

Update... the store is now open but Stan and staff are still unpacking. Regular store hours will be Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 10 to 5. (Or, 10 to 5 except Sunday and Wednesday).

When fully unpacked, there should be plenty of stock from which to select, in N, HO, O and G Scales. I might consider giving them a bit of time to get settled, particularly if you plan to visit from out of town.

They are on Facebook now also; one of "the kids" (not sure to whom Stan was referring!) set up a page for them.