Railroad Forums 

• Walthers is upgrading Superliners

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1270460  by timberley

I think this was rumoured for a while now, but Walthers has just announced that they will be upgrading their Superliners to the Proto line. This will include some added details (such as the awesome window gasket detail like on the Amfleets), and they'll also be available lighted.

Have a look here:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?cat ... mit=Search

Both Superliner I and II, available in Phases III, IV and IVb plus Amtrak California and Surfliner. ETA August to October (depending on the car).

They're also re-releasing MHCs in the Proto line (Phase III, Phase III with US mail, and Ph IV).
 #1271012  by ApproachMedium

cnj1524 wrote:Isnt this the 2nd time they have retooled these cars?
No the last run of the cars was just stainless finish. There was no retooling done to the cars. The stainless VS silver paint cars were exactly the same car just a different exterior finishing process. FWIW id rather spend my cash on the Kato Superliners. Far better tooling, much better looking and running and the lighting package is very nice. They will probably still be cheaper than these retooled models will be.