Railroad Forums 

• walthers shinohara turnouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1271210  by RichM

You know, with the products you're asking about, you're in a very narrow range of users, and you already specified no Tortoises... so other than manual throws, there might no be any forum members doing anything else.
I'm not advocating for or against Tortoise, I just don't think you have that many electrically controlled options. I'd strongly suggest you buy a couple and make your own decision. There is a small learning curve, but there are enough other users here, and on YouTube that you shouldn't have a serious problem.

Rich
 #1271364  by CNJ999

I would second Rich's reply. I have all Shinohara turnouts on my fairly large layout, mostly being manually operated. However, those few not easily reached for operating by hand are thrown by Tortiose machines whose operation I have found to be flawless. Why seek some lesser brand?

CNJ999
 #1271702  by Backshophoss

The "other" switch machine for under roadbed mounting is/was made by Atlas,it's just an undermount
version of their "snap switch" machine.
In the UK,there's a under mount machine called "Seep" points motor.
Blue Point makes a manual throw thats an under mount,has contacts for power routing,
about the same size of a tortoise machine.
 #1271840  by glennk419

Micromark offers a switch motor called the Switch Tender. It is a simple low current motor / rod assembly with no built in switch contacts : http://www.micromark.com/switch-tender- ... ,8394.html

They also offer the Bluepoint manual controller referenced above which does include a DPDT integrated switch: http://www.micromark.com/blue-point-swi ... ,8535.html
 #1272357  by RichM

Since I keep coming back to Tortoise, I'll re-ask the original question... anyone out there really using any of these other options?

I'm about to install about 24 Tortoises on Peco code 83 turnouts (they're already purchased) but I'd consider alternatives for anything else I install, if anyone has had good experiences... I have 5-6 older generation Atlas underside mount machines unused from a previous adventure, still in the packaging.

Rich
 #1276337  by JamesRR

The only turnout machines I'd recommend for Shinohara's are Tortoise. Period. I've tried others, they don't have the torque to throw the Shinoharas. Forget Atlas. They do not have the power to throw the Tortoises - or if they do, they won't stay held. Tortoises are "constant power" switch machines. When powered, they are always 'pushing' in the thrown direction, keeping the turnout points tightly locked.
 #1277568  by peanut1

I just got two shinohara switches in from EBay and I am going to need to motor one up as well so this info really helps me as well. I am in the process of converting my entire layout to baseless track as base track isn't working for me.