Railroad Forums 

• What Will Replace DCC??

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1303439  by ApproachMedium

Battery power/rc stuff has been trying to sneak in to smaller scales in the past few years as tech gets smaller and smaller. I can see this Bluetooth tech combined with LiPo batteries becoming a big step towards trains that are fully remote controlled and having all the tracks powered only matters to recharge the batteries.
 #1303866  by ApproachMedium

Well for now almost everyone has a smart phone, or tablet. It can be controlled with any one of those. The beauty of bluetooth is a standalone controller could be made to operate with the trains as well.
 #1305327  by jmp883

DC has been the foundation of this hobby since its inception....it isn't going away, and that's okay. I do believe that DCC will also be around for a long time to come, and that's okay too.

Initially DCC was not going to be an option for me but as time went by and the decoders got easier to install and their capabilities broadened, it just made sense to me to convert to DCC. Now, that being said, I admit that I currently don't have an operating layout. All my N-scale locos are either DCC-capable or decoder equipped.

In my opinion layout size has no bearing on whether you use DCC or DC. My old DC N-scale layout was 3'x7'. It had a 4-track yard, 2-track engine terminal and a mainline with several sidings with industries. I prefer DCC to DC for the flexibility. When I was operating my DC N-scale layout, especially in the yard and engine terminal, I found it distracting to constantly be throwing block toggles while operating.

Of course there is the cost of financing, especially if you have a large fleet of locos. There are plenty of affordable starter sets and, at least in N-scale, affordable decoder equipped locos.

There will always be alternate methods of powering our layouts but I think DC and DCC will be the primary forms of power for years to come.