Railroad Forums 

• Converting blue box RDC in DCC

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1255279  by Montrealrail1

I did it tonight and it work fine
they still running with rubber bands,but they are now in DCC
here's how I did
First,I tooked out trucks,to clean the wheels and put brand new rubber bands

Then,I did the same thing than a normal Athearn blue box,add a wire from the front truck to the back truck

Still the same way that any other blue box,insulated the motor ans soldering wires,grey at bottom,orange on top and red wire on positive rail

white wire to light bulds and finally,the black wire directly to the frame,and negative contact fom light buld

successfull testing,only the light buld get burned,so I unplug it and get running again.. and it's work fine

I will add a video soon,to show it working
 #1267256  by Backshophoss

The Enrst regear kit is no longer made,requires chassis mods to work,have 1 RDC that had the kit installed
waiting for restoration work,replacement motor.
Athearn still has the rubber bands avaible as spare parts,check with your local hobby shop or via the
Horizen website or the Athearn website.
 #1270799  by Cadet57

Walthers lists the RDC kit as in stock. I've installed two. They're not difficult kits as long as your handy with a rotary tool.