Railroad Forums 

• Making your own magnetic uncouplers

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1253935  by Snowmojoe

HI all -

I am in the process of planning a new layout. Haven't built one in a long time, and consequently this will be my first experience with magnetic uncoupling.

I have read a couple books on "realistic operations" and track planning, and knowing the basics of what I'm looking to do, I've got a feeling I'm going to need quite a few uncouplers. Perhaps well more than my budget for this will allow. For example, based on the idea that I will have trains running in both directions, all spurs are both trailing point and facing point at one time or another. Thus, for each run-around I build into the track plan, the way I currently see it, I will need four uncouplers. One before the westbound switch and one after, and one before the eastbound switch and one after.

Obviously, depending on the number of runarounds I have, the number of uncouplers needed is going to add up fast. That doesn't even count yard uncouplers and any other randoms I may require for putting motive power together/taking it apart.

So the question here is, has anyone ever made their own electro-magnetic uncouplers? I seem to recall a grade school science project where we made an electro-magnet by wrapping wire around a nail. I'm sure it wouldn't be that simple, but surely it's possible, no?

An alternative, of course, would be a suggestion for cheap-but-reliable pre-made ones. I have seen a suggestion for "Kadee #708 magne-electric uncouplers" but I am not sure if they are for HO scale yet.

Another alternative would be for everyone to donate a magnetic decoupler to me because I am such a great guy. I view this as the least likely of all options.
 #1253978  by Backshophoss

There are various tools made for manual uncoupling,along with some "homemade" tools using old screwdrivers,tooth picks,etc....
Try looking thru the Micro-Mark and Walters Catalogs. :wink: