Railroad Forums 

• Atlas Flex Track

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1250808  by Mem160

Anyone know the status of the Atlas Flex Track? I know it was pretty hard to get a hold of for a while. Something with the factory in China I believe? Is it now available again, specifically the HO Scale Code 83?

Thanks,

-----> Mark
 #1250899  by Montrealrail1

In my area,we have some by 5 packs,single and entire box of code 100,but not much of code 83..

but Peco are almost the same price and are better quality,maybe it's depending of the bad weather condition on the way..
 #1250911  by Mem160

Thanks for the reply. I've been hearing good things about the Peco actually. I am going to try it out.

- Mark
 #1251111  by Backshophoss

Atlas had to move all their track production to 1 factory,took time to rebuild the lines,and restart production,
then there's the problem of getting space on US-bound container ships,can be hard to get at times.
 #1251943  by ApproachMedium

I have not had issues getting atlas flex as of late. Bachmanns chinese parent company bought the company that was making the atlas stuff and the athearn stuff. Its all made by the same chinese factory now.

There has been some issues with new atlas switches and quality of frogs other than that the track is OK. It doesnt look exactly the same as the old stuff somehow but it works fine.
 #1252271  by Dieter

It makes me glad I bought extra when I did. All my Atlas says "Made in USA", New Jersey, to be precise.

The only foreign made Flex I ever had that was of any quality was when AHM made some and of course, ROCO when available. Model Power is awful stuff to work with and cut. To stretch what I have, I used Model Power on straight sections, and curves for the Atlas. Model Power tie plates are brittle and don't hold up well while cutting for curves. Peco is OK as long as you don't get the British stuff with the thin ties that seem too far apart.

For Atlas, Roco was making Flex with Concrete Ties for a brief period in the early 90's but I guess the demand wasn't that great. Micro Engineering makes that now in code 83. Anybody out there with concrete ties?
 #1252290  by scharnhorst

The Peco seems to be much easier to get than the Atlas track. I've been going over to Changer N Scale in Tulsa, OK and they have been ordering a lot of the Peco stuff there also dose not look to be a short supply on KATO Track either.
 #1252304  by ApproachMedium

PECO now makes flex that looks more american, they also make code 100 flex with scale ties that looks incredible.
http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/m%20066.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also just did a search on flex track and ebay is loaded with atlas flex.
 #1252483  by Roger Hensley

Atlas is now delivering track via Walthers. A hobby shop in Kokomo IN just received seveal boxes of Peco and Atlas.