Railroad Forums 

• Model train set in attic for 10 years

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1250855  by scottychaos

Just some basic lubing is probably all it needs..
some light oil on the running gear joints (make sure you use oil meant for model trains..it must be plastic-compatable)
and some grease on the gear attached to the motor, if you can access it..

(photos would help us know what you have..)

and just fyi, its "Consolidation"..there is no such thing as a "Consolidated"..

Scot
 #1250942  by jackintosh11

I lubricated it after running it once and seeing that it was the jerkiest model train that I had ever seen. My grandfather (who gave me the set) told me that it's from about the year 2000, but considering that the price of the body shell is $5.50, and the drive wheels are $5, it seems older. Do you know how hard replacing the lightbulb is? If only they were still sold at the price of $0.50.
Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (102.06 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
 #1253708  by Montrealrail1

Look like President Choice train model series,but this model have potential..
for light bulb,it's very easy to replace

Wath we can do for this kind of model to make it more attractive..
remove the shell and paint it..all in black,just need to preserve grey part and road numbers with masking tape..
Paint the roof in black instead of red or leave it like this can be an option,it's not neccessary to paint it,but it depend of the project..

painting the green part on the frame with a small brush..
then we could put real kadee's in the front and back,if the tender are green,*that could be possible) we can paint it in black,add roadname on it.
overall,convert it in DCC,could be a pretty nice model to do a steam locomotive to move coal cars,in a little company.