• DCC Decoder Issues

  • Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, Otto Vondrak, stilson4283

  by LIRR272
 
Hello,

I have an issue with a few decoders which were previously working in locomotives that are now not functioning or half working.

I have an Atlas AEM-7 locomotive that was working with no problems. I took it off my clubs layout and now I no longer have motor control with partiall light control. I took the decoder out and placed another manufacture decoder in and the unit began to move. Once I programmed that decoder for the unit, the locomotive doesn't move at all and the lights only work on one end. Strange that two seperate decoders will do the same thing. Any suggestions?

My other issue is with Loksound Version 3.5 decoders installed in P42 locomotives. They worked fine and I removed them from my clubs layout and placed the into storage boxes since the layout was being worked on. Now I have no motor, no sound, and no lights. Since Loksound or ESY have moved onto Version 4, I might not get much support. I think I contacted them and that was their response. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lamont
  by Backshophoss
 
Depending on the DCC system,can you read the decoder at home using JMRI's Decoder pro 3 program?
Is your Home DCC Command station the same as the Club's?(same make?)
Sometimes a quick "refresh" on the programming track can fix the glitch,if the program was saved in Decoder Pro 3
The other option is to "reset" the decoder to "factory default" using the "reset" cv on the decoder.
  by LIRR272
 
Backshop,

Thanks. The system are the same. We us NCE and I'll try using Decoder Pro. I reset the decoder, but no change.
  by ApproachMedium
 
Did you have them in a consist when you were at your club? Before you leave there you have to remove the consists. Pressing Del in the consist part of the controller and dialing that engine number in should clear it up.
  by LIRR272
 
I found out later two of the units were in a consist and others lost their address.
  by Backshophoss
 
When ever I run a multi loco consists,I make sure to undo the "MU"(consist) link before taking the locos off the track.
IF the locos are part of a fixed consist (like E's,F's,PA's and FA's)the better fix is to program all the units the lead loco's
number and modify the light fuctions as needed,(turn off the automatic light reversing fuction).
It will help to clear the Command Station's memory on a regular basis,to keep "Slot Max" away(Memory is full)
  by ApproachMedium
 
Theres no slot max issue with the NCE system which is what he is using. Thats only a digitrax and CVP systems problem AFAIK.