Railroad Forums 

• Bachmann SP Daylight DCC convertion

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1241985  by Montrealrail1

I'm expecting to convert my Daylight Southern Pacific 4449 in DCC,but I'm not sure if it's a Bachman Plus or a normal Bachman..
It's written on the bottom Bachman Made in China,I'm simply need tip to know the way to insulate the motor and wirering it to DCC,my first time converting steam engine..I do not install sound,only a decoder into it..
I know I will have to locate the decoder in the tender,but I do not know the best way to insulate the motor

I'm upgraded to DCC and I have a hudge collection that need to be converted,most are Athearn Blue box,I have 3 Walthers F40 and one old Bachman E8 too,all the rest are DCC ready or quick plug equipped,in all,It's 21 locomotive still need to do,now it's turn for my SP 4449,so I need a little help for tip to convert it..

Thanks for the ones who will help me to make run my SP 4449 on DCC
 #1242007  by Backshophoss

Depends on how the motor is mounted to the frame,if you have 2 wires at the motor,should be possible to convert to DCC,
If there's only 1 wire,the motor is grounded to the frame,the conversion is a bit more difficut to do.
Do you still have the parts sheet for that loco?
 #1243290  by Montrealrail1

My SP 4449,I openned it and it seems to get two diferent contacts,and the bottom frame are in plastic,I noticed that one of the wheels,each sides,have rubber tires for better traction,only for the decoder,I must put it in the tender,I don't think it fit into the locomotive shell,not enough rooming in..

But,for another possibility,I just want to know if a N scale decoder can be compatible with HO scale locomotive?
 #1243330  by Backshophoss

If ypu want sound,the decoder needs to be in the tender,you can paint the wires black where seen to simulate
the various hoses between the loco and tender.
A Digitrax DZ-123 could be mounted in the shell.