Railroad Forums 

• AHM/IHC C-liner Coupler Conversion

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1236098  by Bigt

I have a few old AHM / IHC C-line diesels (powered & dummy) that I am thinking
about converting over to body mounted couplers. Has any readers have any experience
in doing such a conversion? I would imagine filling in the pilot and such will be involved,
as well as bracing / blocking of some type. These locos are certainly not up to today's
standards, but, have sentimental value, therefore, the effort. Any advice would be
most appreciated! Thanks in advance.
 #1236339  by Backshophoss

This is a "figure it out on the fly" type project,take a look at http://hoseeker.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for an exploded
diagram of the C-liner in the AHM section of the site.
Would try to convert the "dummy" unit 1st,if the powered unit is a "running" loco.
Consider the use of "underset or overset" KD's (#'s 25/26 series) so you don't need to as much modication
to the model/underframe as required for the KD #5 to get correct coupler height.
Do you intend to "repower" the power unit,or keep it "stock"??(factory motor)
 #1236532  by Bigt

Nope, at this point, they both are just going to be "static desktop" jobs, no repowering.
And, more than likely, they will be a learning experience! I know, there are a lot of these
cheap units on the used market, but, this is when I really miss the old Athearn blue box
jobs. They did not break the bank, and, you did not mind cutting one or two of them up.
Thanks for the tips.
 #1236581  by Backshophoss

As a looong term project,have been working on a trio of AHM GP-18's,painted in Amtrak's NEC Orange scheme,
had to remove the truck mounted "horn-hooks" and their boxes,built up a mounting pad for the KD box,and made sure
to clear the truck's movement,rebuilt the trucks and gear train to work properly,still trying to find a "can" motor,along
with a way to mount the motor to the frame,then put in a basic DCC Decoder,headlights,and finish it off.
Have already filled in the pilots to complete the coupler swap.(used #5's back then,before the #24 series exisited :( )
Had to pick up a few parts donor units along the way to repair the trucks gear train.