Railroad Forums 

• Atlas or Bachmann Dash 8-40C for kitbash?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1214349  by deandremouse

I was contemplating wether to use an Atlas Dash 8-40C or Bachmann Spectrum 8-40C I found on EBay for a kitbash project, which entails removing the cab and replacing it with a crescent cab and detail like they've done on 8305.

Which would be better for this project? Anyone have any experience with either engine?
 #1214980  by Death Star

From what i have seen the Atlas model has better detail than the Bachmann one, but since never owning a Dash 8-40C from either company I can't say how well each runs or is easier to use for kitbashing, but detail wise I would go with Atlas.
 #1252835  by scharnhorst

Atlas cabs are easy to remove compared to Bachmann. I've converted a few Atlas GP30's from low hoods to high hoods with out any issues and the cabs came off vary easy.