Railroad Forums 

• GP40FH-2 HO Scale

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1212941  by cnj1524

Im looking for a GP40FH-2 shell that someone may want to part with,sell/trade as they are long discontinued,looking for new,no projects started
 #1213219  by green_elite_cab

IF only they would make a good CAD project for IHP's shapeways site. I'm surprised they were discontinued, since there always seems to be a demand for one or two around, and there was even a relatively recent article on modeling the GP40FH-2 in RMC using the IHP shell. Though now all Resin kits are discontinued, i would lobby mike to see if he can't make a 3D printed body shell. It will probably be twice the cost, but I can probably find a few people here willing to pay for it.
 #1213324  by cnj1524

How ever the story goes,he was waiting for the molds back then he said there were not enough people interested in them then he went to 3D printing design,so
its safe to say you will never see them from him again,I had ordered 1 along with afew sets of trucks from him 6 years ago and that's the story I got,the scratch
build is not hard just time to make,
 #1213987  by Kurt-Trirail

Get an Atlas GP40-2 and a scrap Life-Like F40 shell along with a scrap Athearn F45 shell.

Use the Atlas walkways as your base, with the cab of your choice in place. Replicate the hood length and height (up to the radiators, but not including the radiator area) with some 2mm styrene sheets. Cut the rear end of the Life-Like F40 off and shave the grab handles. Glue to the back after cutting out the rear steps and installing replacements from sheet styrene. Rear radiator section comes from the F45; install it

You now have the remaining roof gap to fill. The forward radiator section comes from the Life-Like F40PH, as does the dynamic brake area, but the dynamic section will need to be cut between the filter hatch and exhaust (the F40 exhaust hatch will get shaved and replaced with a Cannon & Co. GP40-2 exhaust hatch) and moved forward. For this reason, cut the back of the DB blister to include a judicious section of the rear radiator grilles and fan - you will file this down smooth with the blister. Find the location at which the dynamic brake blister grille is centered between the forward and rear radiator sections, then mark the ends. Cut to fit, and install.

Hood doors can be cut out of 0.5mm styrene, and the rest of the batten strips from Evergreen .028x.033 (HO scale) #8103 styrene sections. Use the F45 shell to supply the side steps.

-Kurt
 #1215715  by ApproachMedium

I have one that is slightly warped after it was attempted to be copied. Its painted and decaled but it useless as a functional mode. Maybe it could be used to copy from again or something? Its one of mikes shells.
 #1218342  by Steve F45

what are we talking possibly?

also, i am reading alot about these 3-d models not holding together years down the road. How true is this?
 #1218358  by Mike@IHP

Steve F45 wrote:what are we talking possibly?

also, i am reading alot about these 3-d models not holding together years down the road. How true is this?
Price would probably be around $150 at least. Depending on the material you're using, 3D parts are as stable as resin. They are UV-cured, so what creates them can also break them down over time. Don't display them in direct, close flourescent light and paint them with at least a coat of primer, inside and out.

I can do a much better shell in 3D than the old resin shell. If we're only talking a handful of people that want this engine, then 3D makes sense. I have to know that people want it, however.

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ihphobby" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1218378  by ApproachMedium

I would love to have a new one to replace the old one I think I paid $80 for that got messed up. I just cant see myself spending that much money on just a shell right now. I dont need it that bad lol.

Once i get the thing painted and together again id be talking another 200+ in just lighting and sound.
 #1218387  by cnj1524

It would be nice to see,what kind of turn-around time are we talking about?What will it be made to fit?
 #1218629  by Mike@IHP

cnj1524 wrote:It would be nice to see,what kind of turn-around time are we talking about?What will it be made to fit?
Like anything else, when or if it gets done will depend on how many people want it. If only a few people definitely want it, then the price will be higher per-unit, and I might ask for deposits.

And this ain't resin; we have more flexibility with 3D. The basic artwork can be made to fit whatever you want, in any scale. Send me the mechanism you want to use and I can design a custom shell to fit it, for an extra fee. It can also be modified with things like open headlights, space for LEDs, open pilots, etc, etc. depending on your needs, but again, be prepared to pay extra for that work. This goes for anything you see on our Shapeways page, by the way; we can customize the 3D artwork to suit your needs or fit certain mechanisms.

Thanks1

MIke Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ihphobby" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;