Railroad Forums 

• Jouef HO scale Paris commuter train?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1189893  by Otto Vondrak

So I picked up these cars at a train show... I thought they looked vaguely like Budd designs, and I thought it would be a fun freelance project to "Americanize" them...

Here's a photo of the model... (Not mine, but similar):
Jouef HO scale paris commuter train
(224.63 KiB) Downloaded 1581 times
So then I figured out they are models of electric commuter trains that were (surprise) designed by Budd and ran around the Paris metro area. As you can see from the prototype photo, they ride a lot lower to the ground.
RAME INOX train
(54.04 KiB) Downloaded 1581 times
At first I thought I would replace the couplers, remotor the power unit, add DCC and call it a day. But it's got old 1970's style "pizza cutter" wheels with deep flanges. The motor is some type of drive I don't even want to deal with. Since I'm freelancing and looking to Americanize these units anyway, I'm thinking of getting some Proto1000 RDC chassis and just slipping these bodies on them... What do you think? Anyone have experience with these models?

-otto-