Railroad Forums 

• Walthers HO Scale Metroliners

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1176760  by Greg Moore

Jersey_Mike wrote:Do they exhibit a scale-accurate MTBF?
Only if you run a fast-clock!
 #1176829  by NH2060

peanut1 wrote:still waiting for mine, I heard July they were going to be released. Was supposed to be February/march.
Just like the prototype they're fashionably late too :-P
 #1176937  by Tadman

I ride almost exclusively EMU's so I've always liked these cars. Too bad (or maybe not) I never got to ride them before they became depowered cab cars.

Anyway, we're going to move this to the model trains forum with a ghost thread at the Amtrak forum.
 #1236667  by ApproachMedium

Its ridiculous how they expected people to pre order these things with no prototype model photos or anything showing you what you are going to get. Like I am going to drop $260 a pop for a sound unit I cant hear the sounds for, cant see what it looks like etc. I finally saw the final photos the other day of a painted model, and to be honest for the modest amount of money they are asking for them I dont think they are worth it. The all grey undercarrage looks unfinished. It should have been black or darker grey if anything. I think $100 for DC only and $200 for sound would have been far more reasonable or hell even some kind of good discount for pre ordering like Con Cor did with the MP54s. But even at that Con Cor had beautiful mock ups and demo product that you could SEE in photos of what you were getting when pre ordering.

Walthers pulled the same with the amfleets. Ill wait to see these in stores and prices drop a bit before I invest in any.
 #1236734  by LIRR272

Last week I actually saw the models at a local hobby shop. What is being shown is the pre-production models. So the trucks might be painted black by the time they are released. Another way of looking at it is if they do come unpainted you can either paint them all black or weathered black for the weathered look. The price is steep, but remember this is how the game is played. We as modelers asked for prototype looking models, we ask for the manufacture to include every inch of detail instead of what the old Bachman units looked like, then we balk at the price. I'm not a fan of the paint used to simulate stainless steel, but for the most part they look fine to me. I'm not a rivet counter (and if you that's ok by me) but from the looks of them they do look good. Separate lighting for the number boards is a different light for the headlights. I presume the sound is accurate since I never heard them up close or in person. All in all they do look good.
 #1236776  by ApproachMedium

I was just watching the videos on the Walthers site. They also have interior lighting included, but i wonder if the DC only versions include all of the lights too?
 #1237155  by LIRR272

ApproachMedium wrote:I was just watching the videos on the Walthers site. They also have interior lighting included, but i wonder if the DC only versions include all of the lights too?
Yes it does. The models I saw operated on a DC layout at the train store.
 #1237480  by green_elite_cab

I got to play with one at Sattler's a few days before they were to be displayed (hey, it was my birthday!). They look VERY nice. I heard some complaints about the sounds from a group online, but the only thing I have to go from are DVDs like Pennsy's Race Track 1940-4980, from Heron Rail.

Anyways, I think the only thing I could complain about, was that the numberboard lighting was a little intense. We didn't really get to run it top speed on their display track, but it was scooting at a reasonable pace. I'm really hoping I can buy spares of the Stemman Pantographs for my Arrows.
 #1237656  by ApproachMedium

LIRR272 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:I was just watching the videos on the Walthers site. They also have interior lighting included, but i wonder if the DC only versions include all of the lights too?
Yes it does. The models I saw operated on a DC layout at the train store.
OK it was a DC layout, but was it the DC only car with NO sound installed?
 #1238131  by ApproachMedium

Yea, thats a with sound model. I am talking about the DC only model that comes with no sound, no decoder. I would be interested to know if they still have all the lighting. The sound model i know has everything.