Railroad Forums 

• BN B30-7A Kitbash?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1174619  by Death Star

So I recently cut the cab and front from BN U30C I have and plan to turn it into a first production B30-7A. I already have an old Athearn blue box dummy U30B frame. Would that be a correct length for the B30-7A? The truck frames are the old AAR type B trucks and am hoping to find FDL replacements. What locomotive would be good for the front of the engine? I am assuming a high nosed Southern or N&W or if anything else an NS U boat. Did Athearn make a GE U Boat with FDL trucks and a high nosed GE unit in their blue box line? I plan to keep it a dummy since it is a B unit.
 #1203324  by Engineer Spike

The Athearn U30B has the old wide shell, from when motor technology would not allow smaller motors. The hood is different between the U series and the -7.

Rail Power Products mad a B23-7 shell in the 1990s. They can be purchased on EBay or from A-line/ Proto Power West. These shells fit right on an Athearn UxxB frame. Smokey Valley has the high nose, and the compartment where the cab should be. Some of the BN units had the dynamic brakes in a square hatch behind the cab area. Details West has that.
 #1205546  by Death Star

I plan on doing the non dyno one. So the B23-7 is a closer match than the U30C? What about the FDL trucks? The ones on the frame I have are AAR type B, not the FDL trucks used on the B30-7A. Would I have to scratchbuild the trucks?
 #1205680  by mp15ac

Why are you going through so much trouble when you can buy a high hood Atlas B23-7 and just remove the cab? Externally the B23-7 and B30-7A are identical so the only thing is making the cabless section.

Stuart
 #1212166  by Engineer Spike

The Atlas could be used, but I think he has the idea of using Athearn parts on hand.

Smokey Valley has the FB side frames. They are a direct replacement, with no modifications. As for the dynamic brakes, some of the BN units had the raised db housing by the cab area. If I remember right, the earlier ones had the grids in the radiator area. You would have to look on a loco photo site. I am not sure which units had the db where, although I did work with these units.