Railroad Forums 

• Electrotren (makr of the Amtrak Talgo cars) bought by Hornby

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#8478  by Topo

I have posted this news in other forums too: Electrotren (the 1st. spanish model train manufacturer) has been bought by the english firm Hornby Hobbies.

That has caused a storm in a teapot in the spanish model world. Some are afraid that Hornby is more interested in the slot-car that in trains.

I have been following the Horizon-Hobbies/Athearn fuss there, in the USA, and this seems another similar takeover of a traditional, family-owned, industry by a "big-fish" business.

Here is the link to the takeover news in Hornby:

http://www.hornbyrailways.com/pages...?NewsItemID=331

According to Hornby, "This will provide a platform to increase our sales of slot racing products in Spain, spearheaded by our recently launched MotoGP range". Uh, Oh. :(

Electrotren was founded in 1951, and has remained since then under the ownership of the founding Gonzalez family.

For the RR.net friends that don't know Electrotren, they are also the manufacturer of the AmTrak Talgos cars that run in the US West Coast (imported in the USA by H/R, I think).
 #10993  by Xplorer2000

Topo wrote: According to Hornby, "This will provide a platform to increase our sales of slot racing products in Spain, spearheaded by our recently launched MotoGP range". Uh, Oh. :(
"Uh-Oh" is bloody right!! Didn't the we in the US go thru this kinda shite in the mid '60s to 70s with HO????
For the RR.net friends that don't know Electrotren, they are also the manufacturer of the AmTrak Talgos cars that run in the US West Coast (imported in the USA by H/R, I think).
Very close... its E-R imports...... I hope this doesn't hurt availability of their Talgos.... I still need a couple of cars to complete mine.....
Another case of what the **** were they( in this case Electrotren) thinking???