Railroad Forums 

• Erie Camelback HO Project Need Builders Plate "Confirmation"

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1152552  by SteamCuriosity

I'm planning to start a project that I have been waiting a long time to tackle. With much free
time on my hands these days I am stocking up on materials and wanted to show my appreciation
for the majestic Erie L1 0-8-8-0 camelback locomotive in brass as an HO.

So far I have been sourcing as much information as I can, essentially to ensure my build will
be exquisitley accurate. Phillip Goldstiens site here: http://trainweb.org/milepost51/#L-1 has
been a wonderful source of photos. Ebay's cached pages have also provided a great source to see
completed model locomotives. However, one thing has been bothering me in regards to being
absolutley accurate to the actual locomotive. I saw a photo of the builders plate on a model
listed on ebay that was beautifully detailed and looked darn accurate to me.
( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunset-Models-B ... true&rt=nc )
Luckily I double checked the CN and it turns out the plate was to a Mexican train!

I cannot find an accurate source for the builders plate on this train as of now and if I don't
figure this one out it would be one of those things that I would forever regret if I never got it
right. Does anyone know if any museums would have an original 0-8-8-0's Erie Camelback
builders plate or a photo of the builders plate? At this point a photo or actually seeing the plate
would really be the only way to put my concerns to rest as I otherwise would always wonder if I
had indeed tracked down the right number and style for the builders plate.

I'm anticipating that none of the original builders plates to these three great locomotives
have survived but it would be an absolute thrill to be proven wrong and possibly get a reference
photo!

Thanks to all for sharing,
Harry

#1189847  by scottychaos

There is in existence, somewhere, a high-resolution builders photo! several actually,
that are probably clear enough to show the detail on the builders plate..
the trick will be finding that high-res scan! I have been looking for one..haven't found one yet..
(I am also planning to build a model of one of these someday! but not in HO scale..)

The book "Erie Power" by Westing & Staufer contains a very nice reproduction of a builders photo,
but its not quite large enough to make out the data on the plate..
I just checked through that book looking for the builders numbers, and the book doesn't have them!
Harry, do you know the builders numbers?

We can know the "style" of plate easily enough..
The 0-8-8-0's were built in 1907..here is a 1903 plate:

And a 1913 plate:

Style, size, font etc looks the same from 1903 to 1913, so I think its safe to assume the Angus 1907 plates would be the same type..
So we need three missing pieces of info:

1. Month on the plate (we know 1907 for the year)
2. Builders number.
3. Size of the plate.

(We also know the plate would say Schenectady)
Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1189848  by scottychaos

Harry,
the guy with the Angus webpage has two different versions of the page! ;)
The version you posted above:

http://trainweb.org/milepost51/#L-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does not contain the builders numbers..
A second version of his page:

http://www.trainweb.org/milepost51/eriel1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does! :)

So if we assume July 1907 and the construction numbers, 42269, 42270, 42271, are correct..
(I dont know where he found the data, but I have no reason to doubt it) those should be the numbers you need! :)
Im going to play around in photoshop..see if I can come up with something useful for a decal..

Scot
 #1189874  by scottychaos

I started to draw out a replica plate "from scratch" in photoshop..
a high-resolution drawing in B&W..trying to match the text style..
Cooperplate Bold is close, but some letters are way off..(the "C" for example)..so that wasnt working very well..

Then I thought..If I was going to make a decal for a model, what would be the best way to print a realistic decal?
perhaps from a photo of a real plate? that could make a good realistic decal!
then you have the colors right, you might be able to get a "3D" looking effect with a drop-shadow, etc..
So I found a decent photo on ebay, then modified it..the result:

Its not perfect! but its not bad..
I would like to make the new text a bit more "jagged" to match the "real" text..
the new text is still a bit too crisp and clean..but I might work on that some more..

I found the size of the prototype plates...they are 7" x 14"..
In HO scale, thats 4mm long! :o

Harry, how are you planning to make your plate?
a decal? or perhaps a very tiny etching of some sort?
I suppose a decal that small could be made, but in order to actually read the letters, you would need to print at very high resolution!
probably 400 ppi or better..I suppose it can be done..
(Harry, I can email you the high-resolution version if you like..the one I posted above is re-sized for the web..)
Scot