Railroad Forums 

• Pennsylvania narrow gauge?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#8136  by Aa3rt

Just wondering if anyone is modelling any of the 3 foot gauge "oil boom" or logging railroads that were once prevalent in PA?

I'm especially interested in a few in the northwestern part of the state-the Bradford, Bordell and Kinzua and the Tionesta Valley.

#24498  by sam

hmmmm....
aa3rt....
you've really piqued my intrest!
what i mostly know is from the west....
cali and such....
i hope someone can shed light on eastern operations

#24501  by sam

hmmmm....
aa3rt....
you've really piqued my intrest!
what i mostly know is from the west....
cali and such....
i hope someone can shed light on eastern operations

#25838  by Aa3rt

Hi Sam, thanks for checking on what I was afraid was a totally dormant topic. An article in Model Railroader in the early 1960's titled "Big Level- Colorado of the East" about the region east of Bradford (McKean County) PA is one of the few that I'm aware of that appeared in a wide circulation magazine. Occasionally, photos or plans show up in Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette.

Check out the link below to an EXCELLENT website devoted to Smethport, PA. There are some railroad photos of the BB&K.

http://www.smethporthistory.org

http://www.smethporthistory.org/w.water ... kingne.jpg